lightning - XCVII

TW: flashbacks, anx..ty

--Bastet--

I hold my breath as we pass through the streets. Avery points us North. As we get more and more near, Quarry takes over, recognizing the streets.

As the people thin out, I let my breath go. My stars unattach from my skin. I'm breathing too forcefully, too shakily.

"Here," Avery whispers, pointing to a side road. Quarry and I turn. Avery sounds hoarse. Quarry's been too quiet.

Avery points right. We turn right.

My feet pound into the road. It echoes in my ears like small explosives in the earth. I hope these mind mines don't continue.

I stop. Quarry and Avery stagger forward. Avery glares at me helplessly.

"Bastet move," She whispers at me.

In the dark, I can barely see it. In front of me towers stone twisted in roots. Stone rises as tall as the trees, arching and twisting as graceful as a ballroom dance. I gasp, my breath suddenly gone.

Two towers loom above them all. Tiny speck of windows at the peak. The stone looks ancient, blanketed in mossy vines. They cast shadows over me, frowning at my presence.

I try to control my breathing but it's hard. Everything just hit me. My stars glow and dim with my breath.

"Control!" Avery hisses, ducking down. I suck in a breath, making my stars shoot to my skin with dim light. "Come on."

I take up her arm again and follow her words. Left. Right. Forward until the tree with smooth bark. Left again.

We finally stop at a door. Snugged in the stone palace it sits waiting. Nothing but my stars light our way. It just sits there, forgotten. Avery collapses against the door.

Quarry and I lunge forward but we stop when we hear a small hick sound. I lean forward.

Avery presses her face against the door. Tears stream out of her face. Her mouth is tight, teeth pressed together in a snarl. She sniffs, wiping her eyes. She presses herself against the door to stand.

She stares up at the stone wall. It towers over us. Mocking.

"Alright," Avery says, her scratch gone. "Let's do this."

Quarry takes her arm. Avery backs up and digs in her pocket. She takes out a bobby pin.

"Don't tell me..." I start. Avery sticks the bobby pin to the elaborate lock on the door. "We're breaking into the royal palace with a bobby pin."

Avery chuckles.

"Do not be ridiculous. Quarry, zap it." Quarry lights up. He jumps to the lock softly, so his feet don't make sound. He spreads his fingers, and inhales, closing his eyes.

Lightning springs to his fingers. He touches the bobby pin in the lock. Fizzing responds politely.

Quarry backs up and shakes his hand, getting rid of the lightning. Avery inhales, blinking away more tears. She grasps the door handle and twists it slowly. The forgotten door creaks open.