lower class - LXXXIII

TW: mention of wounds

--Bastet--

We're back on our feet by morning. Avery slung between Quarry and I. We decided to head to Brina for food and a safe sleep. Thorn will be heading to Maylea, and even us passing her, giving her time to search Maylea, will help save us.

At least, until we get to the palace. I wonder how Avery will get us in? Maybe she knows some sort of thieves' entrance? I wouldn't put it past her to rob the Queen. She seems like that type of person.

"The Queen," I start. "Why do people seem hesitant in talking about her?" Quarry scrunches up his nose.

"She is a bitch that is why," Avery grumbles, dragging her wounded leg. Quarry notices and quickly scolds her. Avery groans and adjusts it so she's no longer dragging.

"Yeah but, why?"

"Why so many questions, huh?" Avery snaps. "Maybe people just do not like talking about her. Do you blame them?" I frown.

"Avery, she asked a question," Quarry says carefully. Avery growls.

"I just hate her, okay? And everyone else should too." I look forward as Avery grumbles again. I exchange a look with Quarry.

"She is annoying. And never helps the lower class citizens. Only her uppers. If she would just acknowledge us and help, things would get better," He says, watching the ground. Avery bobs her head.

"Thank you, lower class," Avery says. Quarry stops suddenly, making Avery yelp. "HEY!" She shouts, glaring up at Quarry. Quarry smiles smugly down at her.

"We're all lower class, love," He says, squinting at her. Avery growls at him. Quarry sticks his tongue out.

"Wow just like old times," I say, moving forward.

"Bastet, that was like a few weeks ago," Quarry points out. I shush him.

"Let me have my false-nostalgia," I chide. Quarry chuckles.

We fall back into silence, moving along at a pace that would make a turtle look like a fox. Avery's leg complicated things. We have to keep on stopping to make sure her wound hasn't opened back up. Ota stopped the bleeding, but the job was hasty. The wound hadn't even been properly cleaned, let alone treated.

If I look from the positive view though, it is pretty good. We haven't seen anyone so far, and Thorn is probably on their way to Maylea. We're making progress to Brina, slow progress, but enough progress that we'll make it by nightfall.

Brina, according to Quarry, is closer to the Meadow than Maylea by a day or two. So, we can make it there in a day and a half, granted we don't eat or stop for more than five minutes at a time. Which, of course, we were trying to do. But Avery's leg...

I feel like it's my fault. I trusted Thorn and because of it I got my best friend hurt.

I sigh as I step over a root. Quarry has a far-away look in his eyes when I glance over at him. Avery looks miserable, but her eyebrows are furrowed in thought.

Note: trips to Brina kind of suck.