the side - LXXXI

TW: dr.gs, mention of pain, d..th

--Bastet--

Is this the side?

Was this what Lady Sorrel meant when she said sides? Her or the Queen? And why would the Queen order my death? What does she have against me? I didn't do anything.

I huff as me and Quarry drag Avery over a rock. We're almost to the Crystal Grove. We managed to run at the beginning, then we slowed to a walk. We're speed-walking now. We have to get ahead of Thorn.

"Stop," Quarry pants. I look over at him. Avery's arm is slung over his shoulder. Sweat trickles down his forehead and into his eye. He blinks it out. "We have to rest."

"We're almost there," I respond, sucking in a breath. Quarry whines as Avery groans again. Her wound is better since Ota treated it, but it's still a half-stitched stab wound. It's not going to get better just with Ota's quick knowledge. She needs actual stitches and she needs it quickly. Her bandage is already showing crimson.

"We're exhausted, Bas," Quarry says.

"Just a little more, Thorn can't catch up to us that much in one day. I hurt her to bad." I choke on the last part. I still can't believe she betrayed me again. I guess I should have seen it coming. It's not unlike her, and Quarry and Avery don't trust her. It was stupid to ever think we could be something.

Quarry glares at me before huffing. He takes a step forward. I follow him, bouncing Avery so she knows to help us.

* * *

I try to rest Avery down easily. But both me and Quarry are gasping for air from the long trek. Avery slides down between two rocks with a grunt. Her head lolls to the side helplessly as she groans. Her wounded leg is bent.

"Try to sleep Avery," I tell her. She opens her eyes and looks at me. I can see the pain seared into them. She just whines like a hurt foal.

"Seriously?" Quarry chuckles across from us. I look over at him. His hands are clenching the dried nettles on the ground. The crystals provide some soft glow, but not enough so I can see his face.

The sun has started to set, making it look like a dead of night with the massive leaves. I huff, attempting to send my stars over to him. They obey.

Quarry's eyebrows knit together but more in disbelief than sadness. He scoffs at the ground. I sit back, surprised as Quarry's eyes start to water up. He blinks down tears.

"I'm so tired of this shit! I can't get more than a month of peace! This is such bullshit!" He grips the ground as tears pour. Red-faced, Quarry glares at the sky.

I want to say something to him, but honestly, I have no idea what to say. It's my fault Thorn attacked us. The Queen ordered her to kill me.

I sit in silence as Quarry cries, cursing at the universe.

Should I talk to Quarry about Thorn? No, he has Milo to worry about. But we both have to worry about sides.

I'm so done with these "sides" thing. It's tiring.

I wonder if I did tell him about Thorn, would he understand? Or would he blame me? I guess the only way is to ask, but I don't think I could take that chance. If Quarry suddenly decides he hates me after this, then Avery definitely will. And then I'd have nobody.

Nobody at all.

I shift to check on Avery. I rest my hand over Avery's forehead, checking her temperature. My eyes widen.

"Shit."

"What?" Quarry asks. I sit back on my heels.

"Avery has a fever," I say quietly. Quarry stays quiet for a moment. I look back at him, nervous. Quarry's teeth are grit as he cries.

I sigh and sit back. I drop to the ground as I hear Quarry stand up. He starts pacing.

"What the hell," He mutters.

"Tell me about it," I respond. Quarry growls. I watch as he looks up at the space of sky between the leaves. It glimmers with stars. They're painted dots of white and gold on a black canvas. My own star passes by my face.

"FUCK!" Quarry screams. He starts laughing, tears streaming down his face. He screams again.

"Quarry!" I warn. Thorn could hear us.

"NO BAS! I'M SO TIRED OF THIS BULLSHIT AND I KNOW YOU ARE TOO!" He shouts, pointing at me. I sit up. "COME ON!"

I stand up, about ready to either slap Quarry or run away from him. His eyes are red and hair is messy. He keeps on pulling at it. Tears stain his cheeks.

"Three, two, one." Quarry screams. I swear it sounds like he's being murdered. "COME ON!"

Quarry waves his hand and I scream too. We scream at the sky.

"FUCK!" Quarry says, his voice raspy. "Shit," He grumbles before turning to the side. I cover my ears as I hear him vomit. Quarry grumbles as he wipes his mouth. He trudges to the side, ripping open his backpack. I watch him take out matches. I frown.

"Hey bitch-faces, I am sick, be quiet," Avery grumbles. We both whip towards her. Avery's eyes are barely open but she looks wide awake.

"Sorry," I rasp. Avery blinks.

"The fuckin' time I'm gonna have," Quarry says wistfully, sitting down. His cheeks are stained with tears. I press my lips together, clenching my hands. I listen to the hiss of a lighting match before I smell the acid of whatever Quarry pulled out. We all stay silent for a second.

"Why do you think the Queen ordered to have me killed?" I ask them. Quarry sighs, exhaling smoke. Avery turns her head.

"Man, I don't know. Queen Roux has always been interested in myth; everyone knows that. But she has none for her own." Quarry looks up at the sky. So her name's Roux.

"That's—" Avery flinches. My eyes land on her. She's still tucked up between the rocks. "That's where we are going."

"What? To the Queen?" Quarry scoffs. "We can't even get near the palace what makes you think—"

"I know a way in," Avery murmurs. "I can get us in. We can demand they leave us alone."

"You're delusional, Aves," Quarry says, waving his hand. "I worked in the government and I still couldn't get in." I look at Quarry. He worked in the government?

I look at his scar lacing his face. He said it was from a lab accident. And he worked in the government? What did he even do? He's only seventeen.

Avery stares him down, her eyes like ice.

"Trust me." She and Quarry stare each other down. I sit and watch as Quarry finally sits back.

"Okay," He says. "I trust you."