echoes - XXXVII

TW: cursing

--Bastet--

Avery and I claim the only empty bunks in the cottage. I get the top and Avery claims the bottom. She said I should stay higher because my stars wouldn't disturb as many people.

I agreed, not because of disturbing people, but because I like being high. It reminds me of sleeping in trees. And sleeping near the ground is like back in Kyson. My bed was low to the floor. Well, if you could call my thin mat a bed.

I don't make much noise. Aquarii keeps on shooting me grins. She's nice, she just makes me uncomfortable. She's always wide-eyed and hopeful and I guess that's okay but it's like she's had no hardships ever. She's too innocent.

Mars keeps on rushing in and out, hands filled with roots and spilling dirt. Straining, I can hear Avery's breathy chuckle.

I sigh as I press my head into the soft pillow. It's an actual pillow and not leaves. Huh.

"You should find Elowin. She'd like to meet you." I lift my head up, eyes on Aquarii. She grins again, pushing her hair back in the mirror. I don't know why she's getting ready. Maybe she's just trying new hairstyles. She keeps on braiding and unbraiding her hair. "She usually works in the gardens. She's a Blue-Eyed so it makes sense, I guess. It's by the east edge of the Meadow. Opposite of the bonfire."

"Yeah, maybe," I hum, looking back up at the ceiling. I would enjoy meeting someone new...but I think I want to wander.

I push myself off the bunk, landing hard on the floor. I manage to land on my feet, but my ankle twists beneath me. I groan as I steady myself.

"You good?" Mars asks. I nod. They mirror, sweeping up fallen dirt. Mars and the girl named Elowin have the bunk next to me and Avery. I turn to her.

Avery is already looking at me. She has her arms behind her head. She raises her eyebrows at me. I sigh.

"I'm gonna go for a walk," I tell her. Avery nods.

"Want me to come?" She asks. I slant my mouth into my cheek.

"I think I need some time alone. I'll find you later, okay?"

"Try to find Quarry when you're out. Also make sure he isn't being a slut," Avery says, nonchalant.

"I'm sorry what?" Mars says, putting their broom down again. Me and Avery look at them, confused. "A slut?"

"Yeah with Milo," I say. "Or just in general." Mars squints at me, pressing in their lips.

"He's just like that," Avery adds. "Bastet is worse due to evidence in the matter." I spin around and click my tongue, shooting finger guns at Avery. I start to walk out, Mars still confused and Avery chuckling.

"Aye aye!" I say, spinning out.

Outside, the crisp air hits me like a brick. I've been used to the cool of the forest, but here the crisp air with the warm sun rays....It's nice. I close my eyes and exhale.

I'm finally here.

I wonder what I will do now that I'm here. Will I make friends? Will I learn how to control my stars? What will Quarry and Avery learn? Will....

I stop walking and look up at the sky. The sun is turning the sky bleeding jasper. I sigh.

Will Thorn come find me?

I can't stop thinking about her. I hate it so much. She tried to kill me. She betrayed me. And I can't stop...thinking. Why do I want to see her so bad?