very pale - XX

TW: cursing, fear, .verd.sing, nightmares

--Bastet--

I can't breathe.

I shoot up, clutching my chest, gasping for any breath I can get. Everything is dark and fuzzy, and I can't breathe. I start to gag, and grasp at my throat.

I kneel over, ready to vomit. Air rushes into my throat and through my lungs. I gasp, finally able to breathe. I kneel there, my vision coming back.

Everything sharpens. The ridges in the tree bark. The huge leaves. The bags at the base of the branch. The slight sunlight seeping through the space between the leaves.

I exhale slowly, daring myself to stand. I wobble on my feet before I find my balance.

Where is Avery?

I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder. I move over the strip in the bark, finding my footing. I climb down, my feet feeling the dirt.

I chuckle, strangely happy to be on the ground. I guess I'm not meant to be in the trees. Especially when nightmares plague me at night. I despise my mind forgetting them before I wake up. All I'm left with is the shadow of figures, an idea of what happened. My hands shake because of it.

I can hear Avery yelling in the distance. I think it's too early to be yelling but we did sleep in pretty late. I actually have no idea what time it is.

Go wild, I guess.

I move around boulders and leaves. Avery's voice grows as I near. I stop as she comes into view. Avery is throwing up her arms, practically screaming at this point, at Quarry.

Quarry doesn't seem to be hearing any of this. He is slumped on a stump of a tree, its roots rising next to him. I move closer.

Quarry looks pale. Very pale.

Avery hisses at him, squeezing her hands into fists. Her glare is like her sword.

"What's wrong with him?" I ask, moving closer slowly. Quarry seems sick. Did his drug do this?

Avery whips around, her rage quickly stomped out by fear. Not fear by me. Fear by something else. She swiftly staggers up to me. She grabs my arms, going to pull me in.

Her gaze hardens and the momentary fear is gone, and she pushes me away. I stumble back. Avery twists her mouth in a vicious snarl as she turns back to Quarry.

"He's high," She hisses. I hold my breath.

"Obviously, but why does he look like he's about to die? Isn't he supposed to have a tolerance or something? He's overdosing isn't he?" Avery looks at me, confused. Her eyebrows knit together.

"Probably an elven concoction that he bought at the Solar Market. I don't even know how many coins it cost us!" She raises her voice. Exhaling, she closes her eyes and turns back to me. "Yes." She whips to Quarry, snarling again.

Quarry's skin looks clammy, tinted with an icy hue. His eyes are half open and unfocused. I look closer.

"Is...is he breathing?" I say, putting my hands on my knees to bend and examine him closer. Avery scoffs behind me. I take up my fingers, pressing them closely to his pulse. It beats slowly. I clench my hands as I pull back.

"Barely." She pauses before she adds more softly. "Listen, Bastet, be prepared if we have to leave him behind." I whip around to look at her.

"What?" I snap. Avery's face is soft, her eyebrows still together and a frown prominent on her lips. My breath gets caught in my throat.

I...I have dealt with these situations before. An overdose. I have gotten used to watching people get sick. Really, really sick. They weren't people I cared for. They were Aken's friends. But...I care for Quarry.