rising sun - LXX

--Bastet--

Avery and I catch Quarry by the bonfire. He's one of the only ones left, along with two girls on the far side and a kid dead asleep by the fire itself.

Quarry looks up at us and sighs.

"Thought you guys went to sleep," He says, still with that resent from earlier. I sit down next to him. Avery sits on the other side. Quarry raises his eyebrows.

"Well..." I start, but stop when Avery tosses me a look.

"So we have news," Avery pipes up. Quarry glances at her.

"I don't know if I can take anymore news tonight," He mutters. I lean down so I can see his face.

"Quarry, what happened?" I ask him. He covers his mouth with his hand and sighs.

"Lady Sorrel, you guys, Milo, everything's just messy right now. I don't like it." He sighs again, dropping his hand and throwing them outwards. "I just don't get it!"

He scoffs before dropping his entire body over his knees. He looks at me from the side. I can't tell if it's from the fire but his face looks warm.

"I got rejected," He whispers.

"By Milo?" Avery asks, looking up at the sky. Quarry squishes in his face, which I take for a yes.

We all stay quiet, watching the diming fire. The two girls wake the kid and head off towards the cottages together. The three of us are all alone.

"But he seemed so...interested in you. What changed?" I ask.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Quarry grumbles. Avery nods.

"You want some good news?" Avery asks him. Quarry sighs and picks himself up. I sit back as I see his puffy red eyes. Quarry leans back and looks up at the sky.

I puff out my stars, making it so they surround us and give extra light. Quarry blows one away from his face.

"Well, me and Bas have had some developments," Avery starts. Quarry looks at her.

"That makes it sound like one of you is pregnant," He says, frowning to avoid a smile. Avery looks at him disgustedly.

"Quite the opposite actually," I say. Quarry snorts and tosses me a look. I shrug.

"I am just–you give me a headache," Avery says, turning away. She brings her hands up to her forehead. Quarry chuckles with me.

"Neither of us is a girl. Or straight."

Quarry stares at me, brows raised but not in surprise. He looks back at Avery, who is still hiding her face. He turns back to me before smiling way too big for his face and laughing. He hunches down and laughs, squeezing his eyes.

"HEY!" Avery shouts at him. "This was not the reaction we WANTED!" I sit back.

"Actually, I'm pretty good with this," I say. Quarry throws his head back, laughing.

"YEAH!" He shouts, jumping up. "YEAH YEAH YEAH! BASTET COME HERE!" I stand up and Quarry takes my hands and jumps. I jump with him, laughing. Quarry drags Avery up this time and squeezes us in his arms. Avery grumbles. I laugh.

Quarry lets us go and I fall to the ground with Avery. Quarry falls back, hitting the ground like a brick. He scrambles up and looks at us expectantly.

I scrunch up my nose.

"Do not look at me," Avery says. "I am not good at this 'honesty' stuff." She looks away. Quarry turns his gaze onto me.

"You're the weirdest goddamn person." Quarry shrugs and nods.

"I am," Avery says. "Agender." Quarry nods again, the same look on his face. He turns to Avery. His hand still hovers his face.

"Same pronouns?" He asks.

"Same pronouns," Avery says. Quarry nods, turning back to the bonfire. I hear Avery exhale next to me.

"I could make so many good jokes right now. I'll resist," Quarry says in all seriousness.

I snort against my will. Quarry perks up more.

"YEAH COMEDY DUO!" He shouts, throwing his hands up.

"Wait, what about me?" Avery asks. Quarry looks her up and down before saying: "Yeah trio I guess."

"Fucking idiot," Avery grumbles. Quarry smiles at her.

We leave the bonfire at embers. My stars light the path for us as we head back to the cottages, completely unaware of the rising sun.