constant - LVII

TW: cursing

--Bastet--

"SHOW US!" Quarry says. We decided to leave the bonfire so I could show Avery and him my Moon-stars.

"I have many questions," Avery says, massaging her forehead. "Like what the fuck?"

I hold up a hand for them to stop. We're standing in the middle of the road back to Ixora. Nobody is around, either sleeping the night off or back at the bonfire eating marshmallows and joking around.

I recall Thorn, and her showing me how to move. I copy my memory of her. Her arm raised, arched, pushing. When I open my eyes Avery and Quarry are looking at my stars quizzically.

"And...Ivana taught you this?" Avery asks, holding her hand out to one. She recoils quickly as she is met with the chill. But she holds out her hand again and lets a star in her palm.

I hesitate in answering. Ivana didn't help at all. But I can't tell Avery that.

"Uh, no, I learned from just watching people," I lie. Avery looks up at me and raises an eyebrow.

"Dude no way," Quarry says, poking a star. He keeps on recoiling and shaking his hand before going to touch another. "They're cold."

"Yeah no shit dumbass," Avery snaps at him. "It is Blue-Eyed."

"I know that," Quarry says, squinting at her. I laugh. My stars turn back to normal.

"Huh?" I wonder aloud. "What happened?"

"Emotions," Avery says, her hands on her hips. "Remember?"

"I have my first theory class tomorrow," I reply. "I guess I'll learn more about it there."

* * *

I ruffle my hair. It's been growing out, now I can tuck the top part behind my ears.

I sit back and get my green pants and put them on. I slip on socks and boots that Aquarii gifted me for learning Moon.

My cottagemates learned of it after me and Avery were heading back to the cottage. Quarry had gone back to the bonfire to spend time with Milo. Hopefully he didn't eat too many marshmallows.

I head out of the bathroom as I tie up my hair. Nobody is in the cottage itself, and I still have time until my first class. I head out to the garden. Mars is in the corner, pulling at something.

They look up at me and smile. Dirt is smeared on their face. Mars has their hair pulled back in a floral bandana and has on a tight green shirt and overalls.

"Wanna help with the chrysanthemums?" They ask me.

"I guess." I kneel down next to Mars and start pulling out weeds as they work on the chrysanthemum bushes

The chrysanthemums are pink and purple and white. They are tiny blossoms still, about to bloom into their full glory.

I yank at a weed and toss it behind me. Mars side-eyes me.

"So, you have Brown-Eyed and Blue-Eyed down, huh?" They ask me. I nod. "Better learn Green-Eyed next or we're gonna have some problems." Mars pokes out their tongue. I chuckle.

"I can try but I don't know. I haven't got any clue about Green-Eyed myth," I say, dusting off my hands. I sit back and sigh. I look up at the sky.

It's a hazy gray from the overcast clouds. Rain drops dilute the taste of the air.

"Well Green-Eyed is about stability and growth. I guess just keep that in mind. Helps me anyways." With that Mars raises their hand to their collarbone. The chrysanthemums follow, blooming in an upward motion. Like the Earth.

I watch Mars as they work. Flowers blooming, looking more colorful and healthier than ever.

"Bastet, may I ask a question?" Mars asks, looking at me. I nod.

"If you want." Mars sighs and looks back down at their flowers.

"Do you have stability?" They ask. I glance at Mars.

"What?" Mars chuckles, looking back down, a pink rising in their cheeks. They shove their hands back into work with the garden, now working on dahlias.

"I mean, I've only known you for a little bit but to me, at least, it seems you don't have much stability. Like just in general. Everything's always changing, getting more exciting. But is there something to you that is constant?"

Yes, I think. Thorn.

I shake my head in dismissal. Thorn isn't constant. She's always making new decisions and changing old ways. She's confusing and sudden and exciting.

But my friends...they stay by me. They look out for me. They are there even if things are changing.

"Yes," I reply to Mars. I meet their eyes. "My friends are constant." Mars nods looking sideways.

"Then I'm sure you'll figure out Green-Eyed."