already - XXVII

TW: ab.se, assa.lt, nightmares, dr.gs

--Bastet--

I feel like I'm falling down a spiral. My stomach twists as I jolt up in bed. My bed. My bed.

I'm in Kyson. I push myself off my soft bed and look around. My body leads me to the closet.

I pull my body back, throwing myself. I stand still, my body not obeying me. My hands search through clothes. I struggle as I attempt to move again. My feet lead me to the bathroom.

What is–?

I hear a slam. Shit.

I stand frozen as I watch my door open. My eyes burn as I struggle to blink, everything moving slowly.

My hand twitches as Aken comes into view, everything hasten. The door slams on my wall. I fly back with it, crashing my head into the drywall. I bring my hands up to my skull, wincing as Aken stomps towards me.

"Bastet," He says like a question. Aken blinks slowly, squinting at me.My palms slip flat against the wall.

"Aken?" I ask back. Aken's nose flares before he smashes his hand on the wall behind me, leaning close to my face. He breathes hot and sour on my face. I flinch and look away.

Now I remember. I remember this. I know why I can't move. I remember.

I remember.

His hand clasps around my wrist. I keep my eyes close as I fall to the ground. "GET UP."

I do as Aken says. I move with him to the living room. He tosses me aside. I crumple into a wall, my fists balled up. My ears ring as a door slams closed.

"You're not coming out of this room tonight."

I open my eyes as I cover my mouth. I slide down the bathroom wall. Maybe this isn't as bad as it seems. At least I'm in the bathroom.

I exhale tears. My hand feels slimy from my snot. I look down. A gasp escapes my lips.

My hand looks wet. It's melting. I'm melting.

I fall to my face as my arm turns to wax. I grasp at the brown liquid, desperate to keep my arm in place.

"Please, please," I whisper, rough. "Please."

* * *

I sob out an exhale as I jolt up. My hands run through the soft pine needles. They prick my skin, calming my heart. I sniff, looking around.

The dawn sky still a grayish-blue, I lay my eyes on Avery and Quarry. They sleep across the clearing from me. Quarry's curled up, one leg out like a dog. His hair is messy around his face.

Avery sleeps like a princess. Her hair is perfect and hands dainty against her chest. It's nothing like her when she's awake. I know it might be weird, but I like her better when she's awake.

Nothing like Aken.

I...almost forgot about him.

He lingers in my mind as much as snakes under leaves. I hate him.

I stand up, my legs wobbly. I trip to the nearest tree. My hands meet the bark, my head up in another place. Slowly I climb the tree, just like Avery and Quarry showed me.

I hook my arms around a big branch and pull myself up. My legs wrap around the branch. I have to get Aken out of my mind.

It's annoying. Even though he's not here he's here. I want him to leave. That was the entire point of running away, wasn't it? But he's still here.

"Please leave," I whisper.

"Only if you want me too. But if I am being honest, you look rough." I spin around. Avery sits on the branch across from mine.

"What?" I say, startled. Avery sighs.

"You are crying. All snotty and red. What is wrong?" I wipe my face. I shrug before I can answer.

"I don't want to be like him, Avery," I say softly. I can feel her eyes on me. She stays quiet for a minute.

"I do not want to be like her," She replies just as soft. I look up. Avery's eyes meet mine for a moment before we both look down. We don't say anything. The sun's rays drip through the leaves.

I sigh as the sun meets my face. Her? Who is her? Why does Avery not want to be like her?

I look over at Avery. She's lying down on the branch, her eyes gazing up at the leaves.

Is she thinking of who my him is? Does she know that he still lives in my mind? Does she know that I'm hiding something? Does she hate me for it? Does she think I'm selfish for it? That I'm self-centered? Does she know I'm still terrified?

I wipe away my misty eyes as I look down the tree. Below I see Quarry. He's sitting on the root of the tree we're on. His knees are drawn to his chin as he hugs himself.

Does Quarry have a person who hurt him? He must. He was so hesitant about sharing his scar. Mine might be on the inside but his is out. He can't hide it as well.

"Avery look," I say, pointing down to Quarry. Avery twists to look down the tree.

Avery studies Quarry before swinging her legs over the branch and jumping down. She lands with a thud in front of him, her limbs scrambled.

Quarry jumps back, cursing at Avery.

"Hey," Avery says, untwisting herself.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" Quarry screams, pushing himself up. "WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU COME FROM?" I snort, swinging my legs over my own branch. I push myself off the branch, crashing onto the ground with a thud.

"Ohhhhhuuurrrgggggnnnn."

"Shut up," Quarry says, pointing at me. My limbs groan. "You...."

"I regret nothing," I mumble, raising my hand to the air. My stars follow my hand. They pool in my palm. I untangle myself, my hand still raised. I cross my legs and curl my hand back into my chest.

"Quarry?" I ask innocently. Quarry squints at me, pursing his lips.

"Yes, Star?" He draws, staring me down. I stare at him back. Avery shoots a look between us.

"Star?" I ignore her as Quarry waves a hand in explanation.

"Quarry do you have nightmares?" He blinks. Quarry leans back against the tree, drawing his legs up to his chin. He picks at Avery's leggings which are grimey and lathered in sweat by now. Quarry sighs and looks to the side.

"Yes," He whispers, looking down at the nettle-covered ground. So he does have a person. Who is it? What did they do? Will Quarry let me help him? He said no before. I have to help him. I need him alive and breathing and laughing.

"How do you get rid of them?" Avery asks. Quarry sighs. He digs into his pocket and pulls out a joint. I look down at it. My eyes go back up to Quarry.

"I don't want to die," I say to him quietly. I don't want Quarry to die. I don't want him to die but I don't want him to see my shaky hands every time he mentions smoking. Quarry snorts.

"You don't die from this," He says, chuckling.

"Didn't you already?" I ask him. Quarry stops laughing, his face falling. His eyes turn towards me. Staring.

"I...I don't understand?" He says shakily. I shake my head. I look back up at him.

"Didn't you already die?"