tall grasses - XLIX

TW: mention of v..lence

--Bastet--

Quarry drags me further into the field. No-Eye lessons apparently are in the tall grasses. And luckily, with no surprise, Quarry knows exactly where that is.

Yesterday...it was...well, you know. If I wanted to do anything today it would be to disappear. Maybe to the forest. Maybe I could find Thorn. She actually seemed to be glad that I proved I could fight.

Should I be concerned about that?

I shake my head as I head as I catch up to Quarry.

He hasn't mentioned my walk. I appreciate it. I think he knows not to say anything. He doesn't hurt people like that. Unlike me. I wanna stop. I don't know how to.

The grasses whisper to the sides of me, brushing my elbows. Quarry stops, gazing towards the clouds.

"Up," He says. I follow, my eyes meeting the sky. Above, in the clouds, shadows move. One breaks away, the cloud drifting after him.

Wings spread wide. I make out Milo as he swoops down to the field. He lands, tucking in his wings when he catches Quarry's eyes. I hum.

Interesting.

'Welcome to your Sky lesson, Bastet,' Milo signs, mouthing each word for me. 'I'm not sure what to start with.'

"Start with 'Sky'," I say. Milo nods, leaning forward. He quickly signs something to Quarry, his lips still. Quarry looks away.

'Sky is what I call No-Eyed Myth. It's much better than No-Eyed,' Milo explains. I nod. It makes sense. No-Eyed sounds weird. Like they have less than nothing. And to be honest the other names for them aren't any better. White-Eyed? Cloud-Eyed is kinda cool though.

"I agree," I tell Milo. He smiles, laughing. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and squeezes.

'Come on. Let me teach you some things,' Milo says. Quarry holds out his hand. I watch as Milo's eyes dart down as he lets go of my shoulders.

"Can I come too?" Quarry asks, signing slowly along with his words. Milo nods quickly.

'Please.' I turn around, pressing my lips together. Damn, third wheeling on my own lesson. At least I'll have a good story for Avery.

I follow Milo through the field as he keeps his eyes in the distance between the clouds and Quarry. He drags his wings behind us, flattening the grass.

"Are they heavy? Your wings?" I ask him. Milo turns his head. "Your wings, are they heavy?"

'Mostly just achy. They feel like just limbs though. No more heavy, no more tired.' Milo nods as he continues. 'I wonder though, if you can use all the Rings, how Sky will work.'

"Maybe I'll be able to do, like, cloud stuff?" I offer. Milo chuckles, his hand raising to his mouth.

"Maybe you'll be, like, flying!" Quarry laughs. Milo scrunches up his nose.

'You need wings to fly.'

"Aw, sorry Bas. Looks like you're a landlocked loser." I twist my lips.

"At least I'm not all red," I counter. Quarry's eyes go wide. He leans ahead of Milo, so I can see his body.

"Low blow." I laugh.

'I'm not too sure actually,' Milo starts, eyes skirting his students in the clouds. 'Ask Lady Sorrel when you study theory. That will probably be a good place to start. I'll do some research to see. Until then, get better at Brown-Eyed Myth than Quarry."

"HEY!" Quarry exclaims. I grin, my cheeks hurting.

"Yes sir!"