the problem at hand - LXXXVIII

TW: mention of wounds, st.bbing, v..lence

--Bastet--

"Open wide you rock," I mutter as I shove a fork full of steak into Avery's face. Quarry and Milo snicker across the table.

Quarry managed to stop Milo's tears by explaining the rest of the story. He was a hard one to console, but after I mentioned Ota and Avery elaborated, Milo seemed fine. Enough to laugh when Quarry told a bad joke.

We eat mostly in silence. Every now and then Quarry will say something, but then the silence will relapse.

I feed Avery with every bit of spite I can, but it's hard considering I accidently got her stabbed. I manage to eat my own meal, a plate of waffles and pinehearts. Pinehearts, oh did I misjudge them.

I take my last bite as Milo stands. He turns to Quarry.

"Thank you," He says. I watch him carefully as he continues. 'I'll make sure to tell Lady....' That was the first time I've heard his voice.

I knew Milo prefers to sign because he is hard of hearing. But still, it's surprising to hear his air-smooth voice, as deep as the sky.

Quarry gets up and puts down money at the table to pay. Him and Milo walk out to the street as I try to get Avery up. She groans at me, but I get her to her feet.

"Where are the boys?" She asks me. Her arm is slung around my shoulders. I look around. We're on the sidewalk outside the restaurant, they should be here.

"I don't see them," I tell her. Avery points out to the corner of a small shop. It looks to be a trinket shop, for travelers and tourists. Out in front is Quarry and Milo.

I pull Avery away, heading towards the forest's edge. I think Milo and Quarry need to talk something out.

"So, where's the palace?" I ask Avery. She drops her head and sighs.

"Northeast Maylea. It is at the head of the kingdom, like a table sort of," She says, still looking down. "It will take a day to get there, at least. So we can be there by tomorrow morning. But I think we should sleep."

"We have been going for two days straight," I murmur, thinking. "Like sleep in an alley?" Avery chuckles.

"We have done it before," Avery smiles up at me. I snort.

"We could have money for a hotel," I say. Avery grumbles. She turns me around to Quarry and Milo.

"Oh I fucking knew it," I whisper. Avery groans.

"HEY!" She shouts across the street. "HEY HEY LOVEBIRDS!" Quarry and Milo separate. Milo looks around confused, but Quarry just glares at Avery.

"GET MONEY FOR A HOTEL!"

"FUCK YOU," Quarry shouts back. I clench my teeth as I whip Avery around, so I don't burst. I snort, making weird noises instead of laughing.

"Laugh, it is funny," Avery says. I burst, laughing so hard I double over. Avery squeezes my shoulder to stay upright. "Okay not that funny."

I look to the side as a gust of wind half knocks me over. I cover my face with my arm. Quarry comes bounding over. He has a faraway look on his face.

"I guess you worked it out," I say the same moment Avery pipes up: "This is not a time to shove your tongue down his throat." I exchange a look with Avery.

"Did you idiots forget we have a castle to infiltrate? Am I the only one who's acknowledging the problem at hand?" She glares at us.

"The problem at hand is Thorn and that wound, not storming a palace," Quarry says, still smiling. Avery grumbles at him.

"Let's see how you like a stab wound," Avery snaps. Quarry thrusts his face into hers.

"Go ahead," He says, still glowing. Avery jumps towards Quarry. I wrap my arms around her, managing to hold her back. I pull her backwards.

"Um, the problem at hand is the sleeping arrangements guys." Avery stops as I say this. She turns back to me.

"Oh you are right." I stare at her, very very tired. "Did you get the money?" Avery turns to Quarry. Quarry grins and holds out a pouch of coins.

"Milo was generous," He says, shaking the bag. It makes clacking noises. Avery sighs.

"Not just with money, I see," I mutter. Quarry meets my face. He grins, eyes wide. I blink.

"What was that, Mesbah?" Quarry smiles bigger. I gulp. Avery yells, kicking out her leg. I step back, grabbing her shoulders again.

"This just establishes what we already know!" She yells, frustrated. "Bastet is a menace, Quarry is a slut, Milo is too nice and I'm on point. Let's find a hotel."

Quarry and I shout in protest.