CH 8: TROST AFTERMATH

The Recovery Mission is now over and the cadets are ordered for an aftermath clean-up in Trost District. There are bodies and body parts scattered in different parts of the District.

Jean: *Vomits* Tsk! I never thought I'd be doing this... There are so many dead bodies... I could already smell the rotting flesh...

He walked into the alley to check the remaining bodies. He stopped when a specific dead person caught his attention... He froze and his eyes widened.

Jean: Is... Is that... Marco...?

He saw the body on the ground, leaning on a wall. The vertical half of his body was gone.

Personnel: Trainee, do you know his name?

Jean: I-I wasn't gonna look... but... I can't believe that happened to him... Marco... What happened...?

He looked around, "Somebody... Anybody... see what happened here?" No one answered him.

Personnel: Trainee... Do you understand? Two days have passed since the wall was plugged up with the rock. But we're still collecting bodies. At this rate, there's a risk of contagious disease. We have to prevent a secondary disaster. Right now, there's no time to mourn your fallen comrades. Got it?

Jean: ...104th Training Corps... Leader of the 19th Squad... Marco Bott...

Personnel: *Scribble* Marco... It's good you know his name. Let's continue working.

***

It was evening, Jean and the other cadets were at the open field as they watched the dead bodies getting burned. Annie spoke while watching her dead comrades turn into dust. "I'm... sorry..." She said feeling guilty.

Reiner: There's no point in apologizing... After all the training we did... Endurance runs... Horseback riding... unarmed combat... Lectures on strategy... Technical skills... Vertical Maneuvering... We worked so hard... We did so much... Was it all... for nothing...?

Jean: If we'd known we were going to be dropped into hell like this, we wouldn't have chosen to become soldiers. Right now, when we're exhausted and can't go on... That's the only thing in our heads... Hey, Marco... I don't even know which bones are yours... If I hadn't become a soldier... If I hadn't met you guys... I wouldn't have o worry about who's next...

"I mean, most humans are weak, including me... But If I got an order from someone who saw things like I do... No matter how tough it was, I'd do my damnedest to carry it out... Marco... What should I... do now?"

He clenched his fist... In the distance, he saw his friends and started walking towards them.

Jean: Hey... guys... Have you decided... Which branch of the military... you're gonna apply to? *Crying* Because... I've decided... I'm... I'm gonna join the Survey Corps.

Most of the titans swarming around the wall are killed with high explosive projectiles... Those left after that were eliminated by the Survey Corps. And the last two titans were successfully captured alive.

----
Eren and Y/N were ordered to be locked out in the underground cell and the Survey Corps were currently outside their cells, ready to ask questions.

"The top leaders of the Survey Corps... Commander Erwin... and Captain Levi, are in front of me...!? But..." Eren thought. "Where am I?"

Erwin: Let's just say you're in a dungeon, as you can see. You and your sleeping friend right there are currently in the custody of the Military Police Brigade. We were finally granted to see you a few minutes ago.