CH 44: LAST VICTORY

FORT SLAVA

"Hey, you... It's dangerous here." The blonde boy, lying on the battlefield, said talking to the bird flying above him. "Go, fly somewhere far away. Use those wings of yours..." He added.

"Falco!!" His brother, Colt, shouted. "You're alive!? Hey!! Are you hurt!?"

"Huh? Brother... What's going on? Why are you dressed that way...?" He asked his brother who was wearing a Marleyan Uniform.

Colt carried him. "C'mon. Grab on. I'm just glad you can talk." He ran to the trench hoping they won't get shot.

The other soldiers including the warrior candidates helped Colt and Falco.

"The Warrior Unit on the front line took a direct hit from the explosives and was blown away!!" Colt informed commander Magath.

"And the trenches?" Magath asked.

"We can't dig any farther!!" Colt answered.

Magath scowled. "We can't? Is that an order!? Are you trying to give me orders, Eldian?"

"Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing, speaking to commander Magath like that!?" Magath's adjutant, Koslow, scolded.

"He must've hit his head," Gabi claimed.

We've been at war for years. Do you remember?" Udo asked Falco.

"Huh? Oh... I... Guess so...?" he answered.

Gabi: Looks like we're going to have to explain the operation to you all over again. Listen to me. We've been at war for four years, but we're finally reaching the end. All we have to do is capture Fort Slava. Well, more specifically, all we have to do is sink the Mideast Allied Forces' Fleet in the naval station right below it and then we'll have won this war for Marley.

Zofia: Can't the Marley navy attack them from the sea?

Udo: Zofia!? Do you really think we can count on that navy to do a thing for us!? That cesspool of incompetence that took four whole years to take control of the seas!? Their first accomplishment worth a damn! And it cost them more than half of all those battleships!!

Falco: Why have they sent us to the front lines? We're just warrior cadets...

"Can't you tell...? It's so they can figure out which one of us will be the next warrior." Gabi said, grinning. "The time is coming soon. Commander Magath has decided that this is where our final exam will be held. He has his eye on what's coming next. Wonder which one of us is going to be chosen.

Falco smirked. "Oh yeah, Gabi? You're making it sound like no one here could even be compared to you."

Gabi: Well, who could? I am prepared to carry the fate of all Eldians on my shoulders and slaughter every last one of the devils that have caused us so much pain living on that island. And by winning this war, I'll prove it to everyone. The only Eldians left in this world are good Eldians. I'm not going to lose.

Falco: So, what have you been fiddling with all this time?

Gabi then showed them a set of explosives she's been tying together. "Cool, huh?"

"It's impossible for infantry like us to destroy the tracks behind that machine gun on our own. They have eyes all along that trench. There isn't a single crack in their defenses..." Colt said to Magath. "On top of that, they have artillery supporting them from the fort. If we stay here, we're just waiting for them to start raining shells down on our heads."

"Sounds like you have an idea, Colt." Magath said.

"Let's let Jaws and Cartman loose here. Galliard and Pieck should be able to do it. They'd be able to wipe out the enemies in the pillbox and the trench in the blink of an eye."