CH 55: THE LAKEHOUSE

"I'm home." I faintly said. I'm exausted.

"You're late!"

A high and loud voice made me flinched and snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked to my side and saw a girl sitting on the couch. Furious and her foot tapping on the floor.

She stood up, arms crossed and frowning. "I've been waiting for you!" She was fuming yet there was a hint of worry in her face. "8 hours kiddo... 8 hours... Where have you been?" Her last sentence was where all the anger fade away. Her concern overtook it all.

"Why?" I narrowed. I have no idea what she was worrying about.

She then pursed her lips, arms still crossed. She felt skeptical just by examining me. "Tsk. Tsk. Did you cross the fence again? If uncle finds out, you're dead."

"Are you gonna tell him?" I pouted from her threats. She was right though; father would not be happy about my little schemes.

She suddenly chuckled when she saw my terrified face. "Of course, not." She said, sweet and reassuring. "I got you."

Three words, enough to keep all worries away. "Anyway, where's father?" I asked.

"Huh? Don't you remember? He left like 12 hours ago."

"Alone?"

"No, don't worry. Mister Kenny's with him." She walked towards me and kneeled down rubbing the top of my head. "You haven't grown one bit..." She uttered. "I understand, uncle's not that tall either, even father. But let's hope you'll be as tall as Mr. Kenny when you get older." She then chuckled again then held and scanned my face. "Look at these scars, these stitches..." She pouted as she carefully touching them. "Did you have a hard time in the forest?"

"Y-Yeah..." I sighed, remembering what I went through but then I remembered; "I've met a lot of different people... but there were a few who were nice to me. And I've learned how to hunt and use guns and bow and arrows. I've learned a lot outside, sis!!" My earlier mood changed and I piped like a kid.

"I see..." she slightly smiled. "Then.... Go wash yourself before we start cleaning the house."

"Eh??? Maybe we should clean the house first before I take a bath..." I suggested.

She rubbed her chin still on her knees. "Hm, yeah... You're right."

We began cleaning the dusty house. "Ugh, this is so tiring. I've cleaned enough." She whined.

I looked at the area she was cleaning. It was untouched. "No sis, you haven't cleaned anything yet. Look at the spider web, it's still there."

She let out a groan. "Ugh fine, I'll do it again."

After that, I went to the bathroom to take a bath. I heard her doing something, probably cooking. But I don't smell anything not even a broth.

Once I'm done, I headed to the kitchen and saw her in front of the counter. "What are you cooking?" I asked.

"You'll see." She giggled. "Prepare the plates for us." Which I did. I grabbed two plates and placed them on the table.

As I was preparing, I felt a light pain in my chest. "I haven't said this to you, but I've missed you, sis."

She looked at me and gave me a big smile, as bright and cheerful as she always was. "That's because you spent too much time outside, you barely come home.... I missed you, too kiddo."

"Uh... I-It's because you left me alone." I shot back, I wanted her to know it. "I always hate you for leaving me and giving up to Eren's fath—" I suddenly froze and spaced out. My heart started beating fast, lost for words. But then I snapped when I heard a sound.