20. Forgetting My Pain

Ava’s Pov

It was almost like I could hear imaginary bells.

Completely zoning out the moment Tabitha jumped. Holding my gown, with my both hands shaking.

Through the linings which supported the balcony, I peeked and saw Tabitha’s disfigured body.

“Oh no…”

She was already dead.

It was an eye sore.

Right beside her down, were Francesca and Cicilia. Seems like they intended to stop her from jumping so they won’t be exposed.

I knew Tabitha was right, that instant. Clearly, they were both responsible.

In fact, they have been feeding on her.

“Lady Ava…”

I wondered who was calling me.

“Lady Ava!!”

Someone jeered me out of my thoughts, shaking my arms steadily. I looked only to see Cassandra.

“You need to get a hold of yourself,”

She said.

Thankfully, she had followed me unknowingly.

She definitely saw it too.

She dragged me from the scene, escorting me to the front of the beast’s chambers.

“T-the girl, she was f-from my district...she died,”

I held her saying, pointing towards where it happened.

“W-what if everything is effortless? What if we’re all fated to die at the end?”

I sniffled in tears, asking her.

My eyes were red and bloodshot, hands shaking. Some liquids of sorrow drizzled down from my nose.

“You all can’t be fated to die? You’ve come this far, Lady Ava. Don’t give up,”

“Not yet,”

She said, bringing out some handkerchief. Holding my chin, she used it to wipe my makeup stained face and also underneath my nose.

“She died goddamit, I wanted to save her.”

I cried more.

“But she didn’t listen to me. She was so traumatized!”

“Those people…what did they do to her?”

What did they do to her?

Seems like they broke her… beyond repair.

“You really have to calm down. Brace yourself up so you’ll have a clear head to survive.”

Cassandra muttered.

Holding my hands, she tucked the handkerchief in it.

I looked at her frizzy brown hair and her face with the beautiful freckles.

She looked lost too. And was barely holding herself.

“Thank you...”

I trailed out, kindly looking into her eyes.

“It’s my duty to serve you, Lady Ava.” she replied with a bow.

Somehow, Cassandra was one of the sincere people I met in this castle. She seemed diligent and didn’t have any inner motives.

I knew I needed to do something about it.

If I didn’t more people would die. More innocent girls out of the 25, would die.