50. Lady Ada

Even when the guards offered to help, I turned it down, numbly. With my mind still far off at the thought of Jasmine.

Couldn't believe she had been with me all this while.

Just the thought of it made me upset...

Hated the fact that I couldn't do anything to help her. Nynaeve had to explain that what I requested for was virtually impossible. A re-incarnation could happen but certainly not the exchanging of lives or souls cause the Moon Goddess wasn't the devil.

"You almost died." someone gritted out. I realized it was Alcander that had said those words. "Do you have any idea how dangerous that was? Leaving at the last moment?"

"I-"

"That was because of the catastrophe attached to unbinding the spell." Nynaeve cut me off, with a stern expression directed to Alcander.

"The Queen doesn't have to explain her reasons for staying that long, Alcander."

My hands clasped around the chest more tightly, with my brows cringing in hurt. My face, held a saddened expression, yet, I stubbornly forced my words.

"He is indeed right. I met my late little sister...but that didn't mean I had to endanger the life of my pup." I spoke, with my head up high, yet swallowing. "Or any of you, and I apologize for letting my emotions get the best of me."

"Thank goodness! My brother got himself a sensible bride and Queen." Alcander retorted with a relieved expression.

I could see Nynaeve withholding a snarl, giving me eye contact on what she should punish him with.

"It's okay, Nynaeve." I said, with a weak and half-hearted smile. "One shouldn't take offense to all things,"

Her hands dropped and Alcander gave her horse a pat. A puppy look beheld in his eyes afterwards. She scoffed, riding forward.

Alcander stroke his horse, chasing after her.

"Grant me the honor of riding with you, milady." he smirked at her, saying.

"Can see you never give up." she muttered back.

"Give up? No! Not until you become my Queen, Nynaeve. Imagine the powerful nation we'll make with you by my side."

"It's a political proposal then?" she expressed half-wittedly.

"Absolutely not, just stating the benefits. But in truth, I love you–"

"Don't say words you can't hold, boy." Nynaeve replied firmly.

It was then I realized.

Couldn't place my finger on it but he seemed to have a soft spot for her.

I wondered if she requited his feelings? Or was it a one-sided love?

...

It begun to snow exactly when we arrived. I found myself exhaling vapors of visible air at the cold weather. Luckily, we were at shelter and it won't affect my pup in anyway.

I saw the awed expressions, as I entered the castle with the legendary chest in my hands. I could also hear whispers circulating.

"I-is that the chest no one could ever find?"

"Oh my, Queen Ava found it!"

"I heard she was the chosen one, could this be what the prophecy meant?"

I smiled at their whispers, which I could obviously hear with my wolf hearing. To some extent, I was delighted at myself.

"Your awesome and dignified Highness!" That dark skinned lady, which I recognized to be the head of the Kitchen cried out.