46. Defend

"This is where things are supposed to come to an end. Each minute, this journey seems like the start. Don't know if happily married is an overstatement." – Ava King

*Present reality*

"It's okay!"

I declared immediately at the guards, who outstretched their swords towards mum.

"It's our duty to protect you, Queen Mother!"

One of the guards declared, bowing down. "Are you sure this woman's not a threat?"

"She's my mother,"

I braced myself up, declaring with a smile. "She has all rights to slap me," I chuckled, looking around. "Carry on with the party!"

The invited guests laughed it off, and the musical instruments commenced playing instantly. The lively energy was back that instant.

I directed myself to face mum, that minute.

Her face held a look of disbelief and mockery.

"Are you okay, mum?" I asked her immediately. She was just recovering and it'd be safe to ask her. "Are you okay?"

I repeated, desperately putting my hands on her shoulders. Mum ripped it off immediately, glaring at me.

"Do not touch me." she seethed.

Just as she said those words, I felt so hurt. I looked at the back of her head, only to see Moses approaching us. He was stopped by someone in a pawn's attire. I realized it was Tania, offering him a drink.

"Look at you, so high and mighty. A Queen now..." she trailed out bitterly. "But you need to know something, dear. This is how far you can go."

"Thinking is not for people like us. You're a woman. In our world, women accept things the way they are. That's why we're the weaker sex, Ava." she added, snapping her hands in front of me.

These were the same words I heard, right from when I was little.

"Wake up, Ava. Forgive your father, that's the least we can do because we don't have a choice. Jasmine would have done the sam—"

"You don't get to say her name..."

I weakly trailed out, with tears in my eyes at everything that was happening. "I knew Jasmine. She shared the same ideas as me. If there's anything I'm grateful for, is that she didn't die with a limited view."

My words made mum spit at me, with a vicious expression. "Coming all the way to see you was a mistake. I curse the day I birthed you,"

I felt my wolf stir at her words, my vision reddened, and my paws extended.

Everything today wasn't going my way. I was under too much pressure, which was uncalled for.

"Mum!!"

I breathed out, unknowingly raising my hands with rage but someone rolled me into his hands, stopping me. First was a serene and calm feeling, next was a sense of peace, followed by a sweet scent. That made me realize who it was.

Caspian.

I heaved in fast paces, trying to breathe softly to avoid the anxiety attacks that happened in the past.

What's happening? I mind linked him instantly. He had turned me, in a way that she couldn't see neither my fangs, paws, or reddened vision.

Your pregnancy hormones are making you lose control. He explained. Let me take it from here. Caspian added, rubbing my mark.