41. To Lose

"Losing the people, I care about, wasn't something I thought would happen. Want to end this journey of mine, but the pup in me won't let me."

"The will to live, I fight for. With my lover, the beast by my side." - Ava Knight

...

"This, is something strange to us all."

"Gathering for a befitting but sad burial for one of us. We were once coerced into eliminating ourselves for points to live."

I chose my words carefully as I spoke the girls and audience, that showed up for Emily's burial.

Personally, organized it as the Knight. She deserved that much.

"After I became Knight, I improved the rules of the game, scrapping out the killings."

"However, I forgot my own best friend needed me, with the lurking evils in this castle." I sniffled in hurt, saying. "It's all blood, with bones, an eye for an eye. Tooth for tooth." I admitted, truthfully from my experiences.

"Emily was an angry kid."

"But we won't deny that beneath her, was a strong, brave girl, who sacrificed her live, to save her friends. To think of it, she was the first who stood up for each girl here. Even if she was badly punished for it."

Some girls chuckled, remembering when she dared to step forward and confront Lydia. I smiled weakly too, before carrying on.

"She defended her course. However, some accomplices which I won't mention, took advantage of her emotions. Manipulating her to come for me, with Satandra." I explained.

Tania reacted to her lover's name being mentioned, but I ignored it. "All masked, I didn't even realize it was her. And when I did, it was too late."

"She would forever live in our hearts. Forever Emily!"

"Forever Emily!" Tania supported.

"Forever Emily!!!"

The entire audience chorused. A round of applause was given, as I closed my speech.

I walked away from the center, going down to hug my mate.

"T-tried to brace myself up, s-so they don't see me as weak...I--"

"Shh, it's okay." he comforted sweetly.

Piper, who was just across, ran to hug my legs, holding on to my pinky and crying profusely too.

She seemed nervous of being around the beast, but too pained to let go of me who she was familiar with.

"We are sending her off to the Moon Goddess now." Nynaeve came forward, announcing. "Any last goodbyes, should be made now."

My hands trembled, as I stepped forward. Some other girls, including Tania, did too.

I opened the white cloth she was covered with, swallowing bitterly at her pale face and body. Her strawberry blonde hair had begun to wither. Lips, chapped with her both hands on her chest.

"I'll miss her, Ava. I wish she could come back. I really wish Aunt Emily would come back," Piper sobbed.

"Me too..."

"Me too." I added again, pressing my lips firmly.

We were the last to let go, and when we did, some men carried her body to the where it was going to be cremated.

The entire sight of it was just so aching. I had to hold on to Caspian with Cassie and Piper just on the other.

After the day the accident happened, Francesca and Cicilia were de-ranked by the beast and sent to the dungeons.