Chapter 35

Andra extended her arms in front of her as she saw Karter jerk forward in slow motion. The edges of her visions were darkened, the Alpha had her whole focus on the way her Luna's body fell in her arms. With sudden realization of what had happened, Andra's perspective went the normal speed again. She gripped Karter tightly when another wolf crashed into the car. 

Andra looked around, a desperate expression covering her face. Everybody inside the car was pretty shaken up by the sudden attack. Everything was going well, they were gonna get home in a while and brush off their precautions of this visit. So many thoughts were going on in Andra's mind and the ones she wanted to concentrate on were of keeping Karter safe. So she cleared her clouded thoughts and looked around. 

Through the windows, she could see the positions of the wolves. They were snapping and growling aggressively, their eyes were not completely red like a rogue, but they showed an intense intent for aggression. She noticed that they were surrounded completely except by one narrow path. She breathed haggardly and tried to make sense of her next command. This situation weighed heavily on her shoulders as the head of this security team. 

"Drive away, Sam! There is an opening to your left!" Andra shouted to the driver and moved Karter around until he was spayed over her lap. "Are you okay, Luna?" She held her breath when the car moved swiftly and drove towards the opening. She heard Karter gasp and looked down to see his pinched face. "Where are you hurt?" She asked when she noticed his red face and the sweat dwelling on his forehead. Karter wheezed, finding it hard to get the words out of his mouth. 

"M-my sides h-hurt." He said with great difficulty. "A-nd my chest. It-." He howled in pain when the car bounced due to the uneven surface. His first instinct was to contact his mate, but that was impossible right now because of the lost connection from their pack land. Then he reached out to Percy but the panic and the slight impact on his head were making it hard. 

Andra looked at Leo. "Check his ribs." She stabled Karter so he would move as less as possible.

Leo quickly followed the instruction and moved Karter's shirt upwards to assess his sides. His right side was blotchy red, the beginning of bruises on his skin. Leo pressed his fingers gently on the spot just to confirm his theory when Karter shouted in pain and moved away from his touch.

"The ribs are broken here or at least crack by the looks." He check the other side which was, fortunately, unharmed. Leo covered his chest and worriedly looked at Karter. "Are you experiencing pain while breathing?" He asked.

"I-" Karter took in a sharp breath by another bump. "Yes!" 

"Okay." Andra let out a ragged breath and continued to look around. "We need to contact Alpha's Ivan's security team and understand their situation. For now, drive as fast as you can to lose the fuckers." She directed toward the driver. "Prepare to fight if anything happens. Focus on our top priority, Leo, yo-" 

Karter's view blurred and the voices around him started to become muffled. He felt sweat drip from his forehead in slow motion. He could feel the heat brewing in his body as the pain spread, making every limb in his body tense and hot. Even the slightest movement caused excruciating pain to his chest so he started to breathe slow and unbothered, which was the hardest thing he has ever done. 

Karter was unable to listen to what the others were deciding. He could see Leo nod firmly and the others doing the same as Andra was done talking. With half-closed eyes, Karter saw Aife press a phone to her ear with a stressed face. After a few seconds, he looked toward Andra and furiously shook her head. 

".... trying." Karter could barely hear what Andra was saying, he was minutes away from passing out. 

Now that he thought about it, sleeping felt like a great decision now. The pain was becoming more numb and his head was very fuzzy. Karter slowly closed his eyes with a distant mind, Karter thought he heard Percy from a distance. The pain, anxiety, the worry was making it easy for Karter to give in.