Chapter 37

This chapter is dedicated to @xqueensiex. Thank you for your voting, love!

'Almost there.' Aife said as she slowed her pace down a little. 'We are close to passing the Lotus pack, our neighboring pack is next.' She said while still keeping her legs working. Aife managed to look behind her at Karter for a second before snapping her head back. 

Karter had Ivan's bloodied body on his back, his white fur was now red from his mate's wounds. Percy howled for the millionth time, and Karter's chest contracted with intense pain. All of the warriors were huffing, their legs tired from continuous running and the pain from their injuries was getting too much. But Karter was another deal, his forehead was still furrowed in concentration with no sign of exhaustion. Karter's steps never trembled or his stance wavered. As if there was unlimited stamina, Karter carried on with this task. 

'We are close to passing the Lotus pack, our neighbor pack is next'

'That will be Simon's pack.' Andra stated from behind him. (Refer back to Chapter 1)

'Andra said 'that'll be Simon's pack.' Karter directed it to Leo and Aife.

After a while, they discovered that they couldn't communicate through mind link to each other, just Karter. Which left him to convey everyone's message to the others. It annoyed him a bunch, considering he was concentrating on balancing Ivan while running as fast as he can, so he ignore some message that he deemed unimportant. 

'We are at the Storm Forest Pack!' Aife declared after a few minutes, referring to Alpha Simon's pack. 

'We are at the-' Karter proceeded to reflect the message again but froze suddenly. Aife didn't notice so she kept walking but Andra bumped him and stopped

'Now, it'll only take us 20 or so min-' Aife couldn't complete her sentence when Karter huffed loudly and scraped his leg to get her attention.

She looked confused at him and her head snapped to the front. She slowly crouched down low and stationed herself in an attack mode. Karter glanced around himself and gestured to Andra and Leo to take care of all of the directions. 

Karter couldn't decide on his plan. Should he charge forward and attack or stay put and wait in defense? He could hear the footsteps of two wolfs running towards them, consider the number, Karter was leaning more towards waiting. 

'Only two, be prepared.' Karter warned but decided against letting Ivan go yet. Andra walked to his left while Leo remained by his right. They took an appropriate stance but felt so much fatigue in their bodies. It was a do-or-die situation, so they were planning to give it their all.

It took 10-15 seconds for the two wolves to get closer for them to hear their footsteps. Aife dug her paws in the soil and sneered in front of her. Two grey wolves appeared through the thick trees and stopped in their tracks when their eyes landed on Aife's attack form and Karter. 

They didn't smell like rogues like the previous wolves, their appearance reflected of a warrior with minimum scars on their fur with attentive glares. 

I can't lower my guard, Karter thought. The wolves who attacked Ivan also looked sensible with built forms. 

Karter's suspicions of them decreased immensely when one of them shifted. Her naked body was fully in view before her comrade stood in front of her, sideways, in a protective stance. That was a common action since you could trust no one in your two-legged form.

"Who are you?" She asked in a husky voice.

Andra looked toward Karter, asking him permission to shift. The white wolf angrily looked at the two newcomers, his mind couldn't settle upon a decision. He couldn't afford to trust anyone right now.