Chapter 36

With shaky feet, Karter landed on the ground. He was watching with glossy eyes when Leo fought his way out. He watched Leo confusingly with he had sprinted aimlessly but when the two wolves slammed on the huge tree, Karter couldn't help but praise Leo for his quick thinking. 

Currently, Leo was standing beside the bloodied wolf. He lower his snout to check if he was really out cold, he was. He then checked the other one and snapped his head towards Karter's direction when the Luna could a step towards him. Karter could see his anxious eyes as he glanced at the two wolves again. 

Leo ran towards Karter and pushed lightly on his shoulder. Somehow, Karter knew Leo was worried about his safety, but the Luna knew that they were down. "Let's move." He whisper and lowered his face to Leo's head. "We have to  get to Ivan." Karter dragged his feet away in the opposite direction from the two passed-out wolves. He wrapped his arm around Leo's neck, bending slightly since Leo's wolf reached his chest.

Karter could see Leo was hesitant but he started moving according to Karter's pace. The pain in his side was dull and numb. He was wincing with every step he was taking but the will inside his heart was greater than the pain. Karter went through the events that happened in the last hour. The stressful meeting ended, but everything in Karter wished that it was horrible, that they decided to stay there longer to avoid this reality. 

They were separated from Ivan, and couldn't contact him to confirm his safety. His team was fighting for their lives, Leo handled two feral wolves by himself while still being concerned about Karter's wellbeing. So much has already happened and he still isn't aware of Ivan's situation, not even a little. This day couldn't get worse, but something in Karter's guts suspected, that it could.

--------

They have been walking for at least 10 minutes before Karter crumbled against a tree. Leo whined when he saw his pale face, sweat dripping from his face. His lips were dry and his gaze unsettled. 

Leo shifted, his naked form kneeling in front of Karter. He still wore the worried expression as he reached for Karter's face. He lifted his face and gently asked him to keep his eyes open. 

"Okay." He mumbled under his breath and reached for Karter's pant pocket. 

Karter looked confusingly at his action but a surprised expression took over his face when Leo fished out a small phone. 

"My phone got lost after the first crash, this is my backup. I was going to shift so I put it in your pocket before we exited the car." It made sense that he would carry an extra. What made more sense was why it was with Karter. 

Karter nodded lazily and closed his eyes. "Do you think they'll pick?" Karter whispered.

"I hope so." Leo muttered as he pressed the phone to his ear. "Not picking," Leo stated after 30 seconds. There was a hint of worry in his voice but he expertly masked it. "Let's go, we can't wait." Leo carefully picked Karter up, knowing there was no way he could walk anymore. 

"Stay awake, please." Leo said as he started walking fast. He lifted his nose and turned to his right. 

"I'm sleepy." Karter mumbled as placed his cheek on his warm chest. 

"Talk to me, Karter. You can't sleep right now." Leo concentrated on his surrounding, taking in every sound. 

"What should I talk about?" Karter wondered out loud, he didn't wasn't to sleep, not without knowing that Ivan's safe. 

"About.. I don't know. Anything." Leo said distractedly. 

"I- I wanted to study music." Karter slurried.