Chapter 3

Karter

It's been a week since my encounter with Alpha Ivan, but I have seen him here and there. I spent that week helping mum around the house and babysitting pack pups as well as transporting the food for the patrol wolves. Nothing fun though. Kayne's injury was healing nicely, however, by the third day he was tired of staying in bed and sneaked off to work. He was brought home by his friend because he opened his wounds by running in his wolf form. Mama and dad gave him an hour-long scolding and had me keep an eye on him all day.  

I woke up, surprisingly without any nightmare or headache, and took a shower to get ready for my day.

"Happy Birthday, Kar!" Three voices shouted the moment I stepped inside the kitchen. Right... Today's my birthday. Dad and Kayne were sitting at the small dining table while mum was standing in front of the stove. Mama put away the spatula aside and came towards me and engulfed me in a tight hug.

"Happy Birthday, baby! I love you so much, Kar! You are already 21, my baby grew up so fast!" She took her time to shower kisses all over my face and squeal like a high school girl. "C'mon I made your favorite breakfast." She said while dragging me towards the island.

"We are having a grand dinner today!" Kay shouted since he's more excited about my birthday than I am. I'm happy but mainly because now I can look for my mate and hopefully find them. 

We had our breakfast, which was different colored and flavored pancakes stacked together with whipped cream (with a candle on top) and a glass of ice cream float. Mom makes the best food ever. Currently, we are talking about what we will do on this special day. To be honest, I just want to rest and sleep but knowing my family, that will remain a dream until I'm alive. They discussed on and on about the food, decorations, and stuff but I zoned out thinking about my mate. I hope I don't have to wait like the Alpha. 

Mama woke me up from my daze when she asked me to get out of the house and also said: "Don't come back until I tell you so". I get up to help her clean up but before I know, I'm thrown out of the house. 

Literally. Kayne pushed me off the porch but a hard kick... that bastard.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing and I see Linda's name flashing. I pick up and thank the goddess that I didn't press it to my ear cause I can hear her voice like it's on speaker. I tell her to calm down and talk at a normal volume.

"Sorry, I was too excited since you are finally 21 and I can't wait to meet your mate and talk to her on and on. We'll be the best friends and we'll go to the salon and everywhere together." She finishes her rant and breathes. She assumed that my mate will be a girl. Assuming someone's mate's gender and rank is considered very rude and I have told her thousands of times to stop that!

"Thanks, Linda, and I bet you can do that with them," I said, emphasizing on 'them'.

"Yeah, I bet. Alright, Happy birthday, enjoy your day and I'll see you at dinner, bye-bye" she says.

"Thank you and bye Linda," I say and hang up.

I walked around the park looking for some distraction and see the pups playing tag. Because I just turned 21 and now I'm an adult, decide to ask them if I can join. I know, very mature of me. They tell me to be the IT cause I'm the last one to arrive. I count to 20 and when I turn around they are far away so I start to run. I chase them around until I'm tired and I tell them to shift so we can lay down and rest for a while. These kids are way too energetic. We all shift and lay down. Percy, my wolf, who is as brown as oak wood laid on the ground resting and guarding the pups.  

I wake up to the sound of my phone which is ringing for about 5 mins. I didn't realize I fell asleep after the parents of the pups came to pick them up. I shift, put on my clothes and pick up the phone. "Karter! where are you?!" Oh, that's mama.