Chapter 55

After the unsettling press conference, the Council members, joined by Karter and Ivan, gathered to discuss their next steps. Plates of appetizers and drinks were served as stacks of documents and files adorned the table.

Zev Hollander, a Council member, broached the topic on everyone's minds. "Now that we know the intentions and the person behind the attacks, what should we do?" Tension hung heavy in the air as the reality of their world plunging into chaos became apparent. Karter finished his ice-cold glass of water and leaned in to speak softly.

"Why did he claim to have personal experience dealing with the Council? Have we received any complaints or reports from anyone named Cruxius or Uriel? They seemed to have a close connection." Raine furrowed his brow, deep in thought.

"I can't recall anything related to this man. While we have received numerous rogue attack complaints over the years, we've been actively addressing them," he replied, taking a sip of his iced tea.

"Could it be from before your time in power?" Rita chimed in, making a plausible suggestion that resonated with everyone.

Raine motioned to Sana, who stood by his side. "Find someone who's reliable and available to search our archives for information about this man named Cruxius and Uriel. If you can't find anything, bring every major rogue attack complaint we've received in the last 20 years."

"We must prepare for war." Ivan declared, catching everyone off guard.

"What ar-" Rita began, but was swiftly interrupted.

"I'm sure we can't ignore the fact that he might act on his threats. He's challenged not just us, but every pack worldwide. As he mentioned, we need to prepare our best because he will do the same. There's no doubt about his intentions, and if you think we can somehow convince him to abandon plans he's been preparing for years, you need to reconsider. However, if the Council ultimately decides to 'negotiate' with this man... our pack won't be part of it. We've already suffered too much to simply smooth things over with him; my conscience won't allow it." Ivan's words left everyone in shock. They hadn't expected such a frank and bold statement, especially in front of the Council.

'I'm sorry for not discussing it with you first, Karter. But I won't back down on this. It's crucial for our pack's well-being and our future.' Ivan communicated through their mind link, gently squeezing Karter's hand under the table.

'No, you're absolutely right. We need to take a resolute approach and convey our intentions.' Karter responded with a smile, reciprocating the reassuring squeeze.

"I will consider your perspective, Alpha Ivan. I'm certain many other packs share your sentiment as well. We'll make a decision tomorrow. For now, please return and get some rest. I'm sure you'd like to contact your pack. We have calls to make as well." Raine said, and one by one, everyone followed him out of the room.

---------------------

After returning from the meeting, Ivan was engulfed in a whirlwind of phone calls and discussions about the press conference.

"Alpha, it's insane out there. All the news channels are playing that clip on repeat, and people are starting to buy into that guy's narrative. It's pure chaos." Alex reported, his voice was competing with the continuous ringing of phones in the background.

"We're being flooded with calls from neighboring packs, and they're all asking the same question: What's our plan?" Ivan sighed, fatigued, as he rubbed his tired eyes. Leading one of the most influential packs meant everyone was eagerly awaiting their response, particularly now that Karter's extraordinary abilities were revealed to the world.

"I get it. The Council is trying to make a decision and issue a statement as soon as possible. We'll be back home by tomorrow night, but in the meantime, focus on managing the situation. Assure anyone who calls that we won't be siding with Cruxius and his twisted logic. We'll have a clear answer within two days." Ivan explained as he analyzed the documents Raine had sent over only an hour ago. These documents contained valuable insights into the world's most influential packs, shedding light on the council meeting tomorrow.