11

Ricky's POV

I can't believe all of my friends went through this just for me! I never did anything for them other than rewrap their gifts cause "she" would never give me anything but bruises. In fact, that's one of the reasons I never celebrated my birthday. But I'm not gonna lie, I keep thinking of my 4th birthday, with my parents...which is kinda bringing me down.

We were all sitting at a table together, there was Pizza, music, even my dad and Miss Jenn were in on it. "Okay! A toast!" Ashlyn says, raising her cup. "To Ricky! The coolest guy out there!"

The others start raising their glass and complimenting me. "Aww, thanks, guys"

"Don't thank us yet" EJ says and points to the stage. I look up and see Gina racing towards it. "Hey everyone, in case anyone doesn't know, we have a special birthday boy in the house!" She says, pointing at me. "Nini, get on up here.

Nini walks up to the stage with her Ukele and a smile. "Testing, testing." Nini says into her mic "Hello! Ricky, you've been my oldest friend... ...and honestly, I sorta had no idea what to get you tonight. And then Kourtney reminded me of your 4th birthday party, so I decided that I should copy my little 4-year-old self. I wrote this song a few days ago, it kinda explains your whole journey. And I don't care what happens next, just know I'm proud of you for never losing your hope. I know with what you've been through, you might wanna give up...just for a moment. But remember to keep fighting. So this is for you."

Nini starts to play her ukulele and sing into the microphone. She hasn't even started yet and I'm smiling.

I knew a boy once, when I was small
A curly brown, with eyes of salt
He played guitar and he was the bomb
His mother cared more about her style
Than being good to her own child
He wore long sleeves 'cause of his mom

His hope never fell out of touch
So he took his bad deal and made a royal flush
Don't know if he'll see her again someday
But if you're out there, I hope that you're okay

My middle school friend grew up alone
He raised hisself on his own
His mother hated who he was
He couldn't wait to go to college
He was tired 'cause he was brought
Into a world where family was merely blood

Does he know how proud I am he was created
With the courage to unlearn all of their hatred
We don't talk much but I just gotta say
"I miss you, and I hope that you're okay"

Address the letters, to the holes in my butterfly wings
Nothing's forever, nothing is as good as it seems
And when the clouds are ironed out
And the monsters creep into your house
And every door is hard to close

Well, I hope you know how proud I am you were created
With the courage to unlearn all of their hatred
God, I hope that you're happier today
'Cause I love you, and I hope that you're okay

by the time Nini finishes, the whole room was in tears, whooping and clapping for the brunette girl. I get up from my seat and walk on stage, giving her a hug. "Guess I got lucky in the friend department."

"Definitely" Nini chuckles.

"Speech, speech, speech!" Everyone chants. Nini hands me the microphone and I try to figure out what to say.

"Oh, wow, I don't know what to say" I shrug. "I honestly don't know how I can thank you. I haven't had a party since...forever. So thank you all for going out of your way for me, especially since I haven't said anything about my birthday."

"Well, we wanted t make this one memorable."

"We love you, Rick!" Big Red shouts.

"You guys are the best" I smile. I really have great friends.