19

Ashlyn's POV

My friends and I were hanging out at lunch. At least some of us, EJ was sitting with his Waterpolo team and Nini was in Denver to check on her grandpa. Now, theoretically, is it a bad idea to audition for Beauty and the Beast, even though I have powers? Maybe. But I really wanna do this with my friends, and it would seem weird if I didn't.

A ball hits the table, knocking off a few of our trays. I look up and see EJ's rival, Derek laughing at us, he must've thrown it. "Leave us alone!" Ricky shouts. EJ walks toward us and picks up the ball and throws it back at him. He quickly dodges but it creates a dent in the wall.

"Way to keep cover" I whisper to my cousin. "The words I'm looking for are 'thank you'" he whispers to me, tipping his dark blue cap.

"So everyone excited to audition?" Andi grins.

"Actually" EJ takes a seat next to Ricky, making us all groan. "Oh, come on, EJ" Gina says.

"I was just gonna say I have a lot going on to audition for a big part with my Waterpolo and everything."

"Oh, so you're not auditioning either?" Ricky asks. "I mean, I can try but-" EJ was about to go on, but something caught his attention. "Wait, what do you mean either?" We all look at Ricky, who starts to stutter and chuckle nervously.

"I mean, well, be weird if the 'bad boy' auditioned...I and I got a lot of stuff going on at home so I just think it's best to...sit this one out? Once a skate rat, always a skate rat, ya know?"

"Wait, for real?" Gina ask. Oh, come on, Ricky, he told us he would! What, it takes Nini going to Denver for a week to get him to change his mind?

Ricky's POV

I mean, yes, this baby coming is a part of a reason why I don't wanna audition, but it's also because it's not my thing. I mean, I tried to write a few songs for my audition, but all of them are about...mom. And every time I'd pick up my guitar, i's like I can feel her...waiting outside my door ready to burst in, like she did when I was 13.

I bend my head and suddenly, I'm in my own mind. Is this a new power? This is my subconscious. I look around and see I'm in a dark room. Dark blue. I look to my side and see a bed. And me, at least...me at 13.

(Psionic trap)

(Psionic trap)

He was playing his guitar. "I think, I kinda, ya know" he hums, singing the song Nini made us when we were kids. "Like the way that we flow, like the way that we go, and I love, I think I kinda, you know. I think, I kinda, ya know, ya know, ya know."

Suddenly, I hear banging all around. "RICHARD! OPEN THIS DOOR!"

The door burst open and I see mom. No, how did...how did she get in here??? I look at myself and see he's terrified. "I said no music" she glares at me before taking off her belt. "You're gonna learn...to listen."