Chapter Fourteen

June 1st, 2010

My alarm went off around 12:45am early that morning so I could get Derek from the airport. Jennifer was cuddled up next to me sleeping peacefully. I untangled myself from her and got up going into the bathroom. I used the bathroom and washed my face after brushing my teeth. I quietly threw some clothes on and grabbed my phone, wallet, and keys.

"Princess.." I said quietly as I sat down beside Jennifer on the bed. She scooted closer to me seeking heat. I pushed the hair away from her face. "Baby"

"Hmm" she grunted out. I chuckled quietly. I rubbed her back trying to wake her a little.

"I'm going to get Derek okay?"

"Ok be careful" she lifted her a head little poking her lips out, I leaned down pressing a kiss against them. I cover her back up before leaving heading down to the parking garage, I jump in the car, get my playlist going and head out.

...

I wait outside the airport for Derek as I listen to some music and read a book for my class on my phone. I jumped when there's a knock on the window, seeing that it's Derek I unlock the car. He throws his bag in the truck then jumps into the passenger side seat.

"What's up D?" We do our signature handshake as he settles into the seat with a grunt. He buckles up and I pull off.

"How much trouble are you in?" I ask ten minutes into the ride back home. He lets out a big sigh.

"It's not me in trouble.. My mom met this new dude and basically he made her lose her job, and when I tried to confront him about it he went off on me. She didn't do anything either. She let him talk down to me. But, she's on the verge of losing her house. I found a letter in the mail but she wouldn't listen to me."

"So, what do we need to do? How far behind is she?" I heard him dig around in his pocket before he pulled out a piece of mail. He opened it looking it over.

"It says if she doesn't pay $2,000 by this Friday then she'll be kicked out. My sisters have been trying to help but they can only do so much and the guy won't leave from what they told me" we finally make it back home, I pull into my parking space and put the car in park before turning towards him.

"Derek, you know you can always ask me for anything okay? You're like a brother to me, no matter what race you are, no matter where you come from, nothing matters but the bond we share. When we get upstairs we are gonna go to your room and I'm going to pay that bill. After that we won't bring it up again okay?" He nods "You don't owe me anything, don't even worry about paying me back. Then we are gonna get your mom some help with getting her job back and getting that man out"

"You're really one of a kind, you know that right?" I smile at him.

"So I've been told, come on" I turn the car off and we get out. He grabs his bag then we get on the elevator taking it up to our floor. Once we get inside we immediately head to his room. We login to her account and check the balances of everything. I grab the computer from Derek while he showers and input my account information. Instead of me paying the past due balance, I paid his moms house off for her. I logged out of the account and went back to my room.

I slipped my clothes off and climbed back into bed with Jennifer. I kissed her shoulder pulling her close.

"You get Derek?" She mumbles sleepily.

"Yeah, we will talk in the morning" she nods and snuggles closer to me going back to sleep. I lay there for a few more minutes thinking before I close my eyes falling asleep.

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMC

I'm the first one up in the apartment. I leave Jennifer in bed and go downstairs to the home office we have. I login and start emailing people from the city of Chicago. I also email my mother. She immediately calls me once she gets the email.

"Hello?"

"Emily what's going on with Derek?" I sit back and start explaining everything to her minus me paying the house off.

"I do have a friend that can possibly help, Aaron Hotchner, he's a prosecutor in Washington, D.C. but he does have ties all over. I'll send you his information. But in the mean time, I'm going to email the police chief in Chicago and see if we can get a hand with getting that man away from that house and get them protected."

"Thank you mother it means a lot to both Derek and I"

"Emily you're always putting people before yourself and I'm so proud to call you my daughter" we talked for a little bit longer before we hung up. I emailed the President and Chief Executive Officer of a well known hospital there to get Dereks mom a job as soon as possible while also negotiating a hefty salary and a donation from the Prentiss Family.

"Hey" my head snaps up at hearing Jennifer's voice at the door. I send a small smile her way.

"Hey, good morning" she has a blanket wrapped around her as she walks over to me. I scoot my chair back a little and let her sit on my lap.

"How long have you been up?"

"Maybe 2-3 hours" she hums and glances at the computer.

"So.. What's going on with Derek?" I sigh and start explaining everything to her, by the end of it she has a wide smile on her face as she stares at me.

"You, Emily Prentiss, are an amazing human being and I'm so lucky that I met you when I did. Derek is so lucky to have a friend like you" I blush staring into her eyes.

"I'm so lucky to have you too" she leans down and presses a kiss against my lips as my arms wrap around her.

God, I'm falling in love.

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMC

Ok so who wants a friend like Emily?

Quick question:

Do you have friends that take care of you or are you the friend that takes care of people?

I hope you guys are enjoying the book so far, stay tuned!

Please don't ask for updates or for me to continue. I'm currently in school and working full time, I'll update when I have the time and energy!

I love you guys 🥰