Chapter Thirty

WARNING: ⚠️ RACIAL SLURS! ⚠️

⚠️ LENGTHY CHAPTER ⚠️

IF YOU ARE NOT *AFRICAN AMERICAN YOU SHOULD NOT BE SAYING THE N WORD! IF I HEAR OR SEE YOU SAYING IT, IM KNOCKING YOUR TEETH OUT!

Black History Fact: Computer scientist Lisa Gelobter assisted with the 1995 creation of Shockwave, essential technology that led to the development of web animation. (So we have her to thank for GIFs).

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCM

October 18th, 2010
Washington, DC
6:30PM

The day felt off from the beginning. Emily had to go out of town for work yesterday leaving me alone with everyone, not that I don't mind them. We decided to take a walk around the neighborhood, you know to checkout the location even though I go to school 2 minutes away.

As we were walking, we heard someone call out to us. "Y'all okay?" A man asked, he was outside on his porch watching us. A white man. Why is he speaking to us?

"Yeah, we're good!" Derek replied. What came out of the mans mouth shocked us all. I've never dealt with this before and I'm pretty sure nobody else has either.

"Not you niggers, the white girls y'all took!" I put a hand on Derek's arm as he step towards the man.

"Excuse me?!" I felt him shaking with rage and I don't blame him. I saw Pen taking pictures of his house and of him, secretly. We are going to destroy this motherfucker!

"I said, the white girls you took. Nigger!" he said it again and it took everything in me not to release Derek.

"You better watch your fucking mouth!" I yelled towards him. I see him smile. That sent anger through me.

"Ahh, you like them colored boys don't you? Your mom and dad know about that?" I wanted to run over and break his nose.

"Come on, let's go" I said pulling Derek by the arm while Pen grabbed Tara. He kept yelling things towards us as we made our way back to our house. We heard threats, more racial slurs and he even tried coming after us. Thank god we all are pretty active. As soon as we got inside Derek went upstairs to his room slamming his door shut. We all jumped.

"Tara are you okay..?" I asked softly.

"Yeah, I'm okay.. I'm gonna go upstairs to my room.." she walked away from us going upstairs. I felt sick to my stomach over what happened. I can't believe the world is still like this.

"I don't even know what to say.." Pen said as we sat on the couch. What do you say when that happens? You can't relate to the situation because we aren't African Americans. I've never seen someone judge someone based off their skin color. I thought everyone was equal..

"Me either.. You think we should tell Emily?" I said.

"Hell yes, we have to tell Emily! She's going to flip her shit. Derek is her brother. And Tara is her friend. We can't let him get away that Jayje, what if he does something else?"

"You're right.." I grabbed my phone and found Emily's number. I hit dial and put it on speakerphone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, are you busy?" I picked my thumb with my pointer finger. I was so upset and anxious now.

"No, just got to my hotel room. What's up?"

"Okay, so the four of us went on a walk like 10-15 minutes ago.. While walking this man, a white man, asked us if we were okay. Derek answered because it seemed weird. He called Tara and Derek the n word.. Then he kept yelling racial things at us as we walked alway. He then proceeded to try and chase us." The call was silent for a few minutes.