Adaptus Xiao

Please don't hate me for skipping most of the training in this story. Also I wrote most of the Chapter from only one perspective, very unusual for me I know.

________________________________________________________________________________

POV: Y/n

It had been a quiet night, the first since I started my training. Maybe because I had to be carried to bed? Well it was embarrassing enough that Zhongli had to carry me to the bathroom, for some unexplainable reasons that man did not want to leave, even when I told him I was gonna take a bath! I'm starting to think he's been living under a rock for most of his life, well doesn't matter since I got him to leave after some convincing. Turns out he was waiting by the door should I need any help, which I sadly did need later. While I was able to clean myself and dress into some clean clothes I still had one issue. I was able to stand yes, but walking was no option for me and so I called for him, which lead to him carrying me to bed. This was something I'd rather forget about...

Now waking up felt like a blessing in diguise, I finally was able to get a good amount of sleep and rest, tho' that feeling vanished once the lone Yaksha appeared while we were enjoying breakfast. I wasn't allowed to finish before he dragged me away.

Right now we were just standing in a field somewhere in the depths of Jueyun Karst, a place Xiao promised was never seen by a human before, making me the first one. It was an honour yes, but that also meant I'd be the first to plant my face everywhere, at least if he's anything like Shenhe.

Xiao: "I've been watching your training with Shenhe, well some of it. I've concluded that it would be beneficial to train you more in my style of fighting. But before that I want to see what you can do. You may use your vision as you please." His fighting style? Let's hope I survive this.

Without saying anything further he summoned his cool looking green spear and rushed towards me, my first reaction was to send simple ice blasts towards him, of course none of them hit but it was worth a try. It was then that I barely evaded a powerful thrust of his spear and countered with a charged attack in form of an icicle, but before it connected he vanished into thin air. I was confused at first before I felt a current of wind blast against me, throwing me back quit a bit. Slowly recovering from his attack I noticed where he was now standing. 'So he blasted himself through me, turning into pure anemo energy before he hit me and reemerging behind me?'

Xiao: "Is that all you can do? Pitiful." Now that was something I couldn't ignore.

Positioning myself properly I send another wave of cryo blasts towards him, this time aiming exclusively for his legs. Once I noticed he was closing in again I prepared myself, just like before he vanished into thin air, only this time I created a wall of ice before me, blocking the blast of anemo that followed him. Turning around I saw him still falling from the air, eyes widened by my quick counter. Deciding it was the best opportunity to hit him while he was still in the air I calmly took a deep breath before I unleashed my elemental skill towards him, creating a dust cloud upon impact.

Xiao: "It seems Cloud Retainer picked a suitable diciple, you weren't half bad." Shocked to hear his voice I squinted my eyes, barely making out his figure in the dust.

I stood there shocked once the dust settled. There he was, calmly standing on the tip of the biggest glacier spike I had created while looking down on me.

Xiao: "I herby deem you worthy of my guidance mortal, let's get to work." This statement alone astonished me, he was testing if I was worth his time?

Y/n: "I'll do my best!" I told him exited, to be honest I feel rather proud of myself, being able to impress an adaptus isn't easy.

________________________________________________________________________________

Training with Xiao was...suprisingly helpful despite his blunt and mean demeanor. He taught me how the concept of his vanishing move, which I learned was his elemental skill. While I was able to pull off the vanishing and reappearing behind someone I was unable to summon the blast of cryo that was supposed to follow, this led us to the conclusion that it was easier for Xiao to do since he used anemo particles which were always present, meanwhile I had to create the cryo burst completly from scratch.

He also taught me how to materialize a weapon out of pure elemental energy and I am proud to say I mastered that ability in no time. Of course I needed to visualize the weapon first so I am currently only able to recreate Xiao's and Shenhe's polearms as those were the only weapons I was around long enough to remembere their looks.

Currently we were once again standing near the table by Cloud Retainer's adaptal abode, a place I called home for the past week or so. Infron of me stood Xiao who wanted to see me off personally while the others weren't there, so he decided to do so the night before I return to Liyue with Zhongli.

Xiao: "Now that you learned how to create elemental replicas of weapons you should be able to improve the power of you burst, but enough about that. Please remembere this, if you awake to a knife at your throat, if monsters dig their claws into you, if death comes knocking at your door, call out my name. Adeptus Xiao. I will be here when you call." He told me, turning around but stopping shortly after.

Xiao: "Just so you know, you did great...I'm proud of your improvements." He nerly whispered, luckily I was still able to hear it.

Y/n: "I will keep that in mind! Thank you for teaching me Xiao, the next time we'll meet I'll make you some tofu!" I responded, watching as he gave me a slight nod before disappearing.

Being completly alone now I decided to watch the clear night sky for a bit, staring at the glowing moon and the ever so bright stars. Relaxing for a bit I layed down on my back, just watching in awe at the brightly coloured sky.

After a while I heard footsteps closing in on my location. Sitting up I noticed it was just Zhongli who apparently tried to remain as quiet as possible before he noticed me staring at him.

Zhongli: "Ah, so you were just watching the stars. I thought you had fallen asleep while watching them so I tried to remain as quiet as possible. Tho' I would recommend to come inside soon, the nights up here can be quit unforgiving, even for those who can control the cold itself." He warned me, giving me a hand before I started entering the abode again, quietly making my way to my bed to rest.

POV: 3rd Person

What Y/n had not noticed was that Zhongli never followed him inside, he still stood outside admirering the moon. He softly hummed a tune he remembered from his past before he quietly spoke into the night.

Zhongli: "His eyes, they have a sparkle in them. Like...a polished Cor Lapis gem. The same sparkle your used to have..."

________________________________________________________________________________

A/n

I...this Chapter is quit short, sorry.

Anyways next chapters will be back in Liyue and very soon a heroine with a pixi will arrive as well.

Till then, Peace.