24| Unexpected turn of events

~New Years~

~New Years~

"Happy new year." A gentle man walked from behind me and whispered. I felt the hairs on my neck stand up to the thought of interacting with any man. "I'm sorry, I'm Leonardo and you look beautiful." He walked to my front, reaching out to shake my hand. His green eyes glistened in the sun and his hair slicked back in a bun. He was hot and muscular. "What are you doing here alone?" He asked, snapping me out of my trance.

"I'm with my daughter, just spending some time with her on this lovely day." I wished Piero was there to spend this day with us. Just the thought of him leaves a frown on my face. He didn't deserve to go like that.

"A lovely day indeed."

"Oh, here she comes." I smiled.

"Mommy can I get some ice cream, please?" She came running towards me. I love seeing her this happy. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here today. I'm only this strong for her sake. Leonardo and I both laughed at her sweet tone; one she knows gets me all the time. "Here comes the ice cream van." She squealed.

"Give me a moment, I'll be back." I said to Leonardo and walked towards the designed truck.

"Looks like you already got the ice cream." I giggled and off Rosa went to meet her friends. "She's always so happy, and I don't know where she got the energy from."

"You're the one that treats her like this." The ice cream man replied and we both chuckled. Everyone was happy. It was a day to enjoy.

"How much is it?"

"Five dollars ma'am."

"I'll pay for that." A husky voice said in his strong Italian accent, his colon filling my nose. I could tell he was close, very close to me. My heart started beating fast, I know the smell of that colon, it never left me. He went to pay the man and I almost fainted. It was him, Giovanni. How did he find me?

"What are you doing here?" I murmured.

"I've missed you too, princess." He ignored my question, reaching out to hold me but I backed away before he could touch me.

"I'm sorry, is this man bothering you?" Leonardo asked, reaching in to pull me away. I could see Giovanni's fist clenched into a ball and jaw tightened; anger swirling in his dark orbs.

"Get your fucking hands off her right this instance." The way he said it made goosebumps find its way on my skin. Leonardo let go of me and immediately left. I was embarrassed, everyone was staring at us.

"Daddy?" Rosa appeared from behind me. She looked shocked and distant for some time until Giovanni's wide smile made her give in. She ran into his arms and Giovanni span her in the air. Her giggles filled the atmosphere and I realized I really did miss this. "You came back. Why did you leave us?" She clinged onto him. Giovanni looked at me and tilted his head to the side in disappointment. My cheeks were bright red now. I couldn't tell her that he told me to leave. Then she would hate him.

"I was away on business, princess. I'm sorry." He broke the awkward silence and I let out a gush of air that I didn't know I held. His intimidating eyes still bore through me. He scanned my whole body like he was claiming his territory and he didn't try to hide it. "Why don't you give mommy and I some time to talk." He added. "Alfonso, keep an eye on her." He continued staring at me. I felt sexually aroused. I wanted him to touch me. "I'm taking you back with me." He said.

"Excuse me?" I said in astonishment. "Oh so now you want me back. You pushed me away Giovanni, you broke me." I added.

"That's why you're coming with me." He smirked. Who does he think I am? I'm not the same girl I was last year. The girl last year would immediately say yes to him.

"I'm not your pet, I don't need you."

"You need to watch your tone with me baby and thank me for saving your life." He said. "Oh, you thought I didn't know where you were? I watched your every move and killed the fucking bastard." He clenched his jaw on the last few words. "You need practice aiming a gun princess because your bullet missed." He continued.

"No, I killed him." I watched him, eyes wide open.

"You're coming with me and that's final, Irina." He said and walked away from me. Who the fuck does he think he is? The police? I made my way over to the benches and watched as he and Rosa played on the monkey bars to the slides. It made me really happy that he found me and wanted me back but he can't just walk back in like he did nothing. I want him and only him but this asshole pushed me away and didn't come for me when he knew Alexander was still alive.

***

The sun began setting, people leaving this wonderful place. Children waving their friends goodbye. Happiness filled the atmosphere. "Shit." I whispered as a black figure caught my attention. I barely got time to breathe in some fresh air when he aimed his gun in Rosa's direction. This needs to stop, I'm so fucking sick and tired of this. What can a six year old possibly have that attracts these men? I don't get any of it. With one swift move, my hand made hold of my gun which was tightly sitted in the holster around my thigh. I fired a bullet at my target and everyone else started running. Giovanni realized exactly what was going on and also fired shots.

"Get the car now." He demanded Alfonso, who wasted his time chatting with some brunette. He handed Rosa over and continued firing shots. "Get to the car quickly." He yelled and I did just that. It didn't take him a minute to get to the vehicle. "Drive." He ordered.

"Mommy my hat." Rosa cried as it flew off her head due to the fast movement of the vehicle.

"It's fine sweetie. I'll get you another." I put on smile for her. It was her favorite and she always wore it. I lived a block away from the park and it was in no time that we got there. "Drop me off here." I said to Alfonso but he ignored me, speeding over the limit. "Giovanni let me go." I insisted.

"You think I would let you go after this?"

"It's not the first time it's happened before. I can protect myself and Rosa. You let me go a year ago and decided to show up in my life again? What kind of man are you? It's clearly not the one I fell in love with three years ago." The man I fell in love with is gone. Did I forget to mention he got tattoos on his neck and an earring? Well he most certainly did. "Are you going to say anything?" I annoyingly asked but he just laughed.What the fuck is wrong with him?

"I'm not having this conversation in front of our daughter." He said, sinking back into the seat.

"You can at least tell this bitch of a driver to slow the fuck down since he only takes orders from bitches like him."

"And what you're going to do is shut the fuck up, Irina." He scolded. My heart began thumping against my chest, it was not only his physical features which changed but his tone. It was darker and scarier than I remembered. It was way worse than the day he kidnapped me. I was scared of him all over again but I don't have to show him how weak I am.

I don't know if she faked being asleep but Rosa was quietly laying in my arms. My head rested comfortably on the car's window and I silently began crying. How could I still be in love with this man?