41| Punch to the heart

After I left heartbroken, numb, the only place I felt close to Irina was her office, where we planned our first mission together

After I left heartbroken, numb, the only place I felt close to Irina was her office, where we planned our first mission together. I left to hide my emotions, the scream that wanted to leave my lips and the tears that fell down my face. I knew this feeling when I lost my mother to some fucking drug cartel. She didn't deserve any of this and now I'm feeling it again because Irina could die.

No one treated me like she did, I thought no one ever would. I sat down, my face in my hands feeling like the fourteen year old I was when it first happened.

I heard Giovanni's office door slam shut followed by a loud cry. This did hurt him the most because Giovanni never cries. He'd trash everything around and I wanted to tell him it's going to be okay but no one knew that for sure, not even these fucking useless doctors.

"Fuck." He cried and I was scared that I even thought of going in there for one second when he smashed a bottle at the door separating the joined offices. He'd been drinking carelessly again. The last time he did, he'd shot Dimitri in the arm when he came to comfort him.

The only one who can do this is Irina and she was all the way in Napoli when it happened. Now she's fighting for her life. Tears no longer fell down my face and I promised myself one thing, if she doesn't make it out alive, I'm out.

I listened as he took another bottle of liquor from the cabinet and slammed it shut, its door coming off. Then his last words soothed my aching heart, no more missions. He'd never put her up for danger anymore but she's too stubborn she won't listen to him, he should have known that by now. I took that as my cue to leave before he did but unfortunately our eyes locked when we both excited and I quickly turned away.

"I'm sorry." He whispered to me and went on his way. Did Giovanni Gonzalez apologize to me? I'm sure he didn't, it's my mind wanting him to, for allowing Irina to get hurt like this, for almost taking her away from me, from us all. I know I'm not getting any comfortable sleep tonight.

***

I was right, no one got any sleep. We looked miserable, no one bothered getting ready for the day or having breakfast.

The kids were at Maria's and we all got away from work. Olivia walked back in from a phone call she received from Freya, "Valentina, Freya agrees to you checking in on Irina to change her IV, she'll be at the house in five minutes." Valentina nods before leaving the room. I don't know her that much and I'm a little skeptical on letting her do whatever Freya agreed to. Giovanni then walked in with red eyes and dark under eyes.

"Last time I checked, I gave no one fucking permission to look at me." He scoffed, we all turned our heads. This was the Giovanni I knew and not the one from last night. "What did Freya say? I heard Olivia's mouth from my bedroom." He sighed and she mocked him.

"She gave Valentina the permission to check in on Irina if that's fine with you but you took too long to get down here." Giovanni could have thrown his cup at Olivia but chose not to. "What? Her IV needed changing and Valentina wouldn't dare hurt Irina."

Freya walked in getting our attention, "I'm going to check on her heart rate, her blood pressure, sugar level and last but not least her breathing rate. She needs an MRI scan also." I'm lost, wondering what medical terms Freya spoke of.

"When is she waking up?" I asked, everyone wanting to know the same.

"Soon, hopefully." She left.

"This is bullshit." Giovanni slammed his glass down. "If she doesn't wake up in the next five hours you're fired, Freya." He yelled at her, making sure she heard. "Everyone's off for the day." He sighed.

"Yes, no shit cousin."

"Elena, shut up please. I'm not having anyone's bullshit today."

***

Later that day, after waiting impatiently on the updated results we were all called in to visit Irina. "You have five minutes with her, she hears everything you say but can't react to anything you say." Freya said. "Go in, everyone." I watched Irina's pale body which was connected to machines which kept her alive. The machines make sounds to keep track of her heart rate. When Giovanni spoke to her, her heart rate went low, the machine beeping hysterically.

"What the fuck is happening. Do something." He yelled. Olivia was now crying. Valentina acted quickly, picking up two metal irons rubbing them together.

"Charge to two hundred." She rubbed the metal together and punched it to Irina's chest, her body jolting up. No response. "Charge to three hundred." She repeated the process and again, no response. The machine stopped beeping and Giovanni was losing it. Valentina was getting frustrated, Irina refused to breathe. "Charge to six hundred." She punched the metal in Irina's chest, her body jolting up.

"Fuck, Irina." Freya yelled, shifting Valentina to the side. Freya slammed her fist into Irina's chest. This felt illegal to watch but felt good when the machine's were back to normal and Irina gasping for air. Olivia stopped crying and ran over to Irina.

"Gio." She called out to him. Everyone was happy that she spoke.

"I'm here, baby." This side of Giovanni was one I thought I'd never see. Irina drifted back to sleep, her eyelids refusing to stay open.

"I'm s-"

"She woke up, she's fine but needs sleep. Her lungs need to recover and her body is weak from all the drugs." Freya heaved a sigh. "You're doing just great, Irina." What would have happened if we weren't here when her heart stopped? Would she have died? Fuck. She's alright and that's all we wanted.