Chapter 9

The next day, Dalia woke up in her room.

The sun was high. She seemed to have fainted since yesterday's carriage accident.

It was so ridiculous to think that Hikan came, so she thought that seeing Hikan was all a dream.

"Did you wake up?"

Then she heard a friendly voice.

Dalia saw the Duchess Blueport sitting by her bedside. She was knitting naturally as if she were waiting for Dalia to wake up.

"Duchess!"

Dalia raised her upper body in surprise. A smile appeared on her face without her realizing it.

"What brings you here?"

"I'm worried that Dalia might have been in big trouble."

Duchess Blueport smiled slightly as she adjusted the position of her mask.

Dalia was relieved at the usual sight.

Indeed, the fact that there is Duchess Blueport here means that Hikan has never been here. It was obvious that she had a dream.

It was fortunate that it was a dream. If it were real, it would have been too embarrassing.

"The Young Duke Hikan is now the Duke of Pesteros. How's it going with him?"

Dalia shook her head.

She gave an impassioned speech about what Hikan had said to her from the moment they walked out of the palace. Hikan might hear it like last time, but she really wanted to say this. (*t/n: not so sure about the last sentence)

"But this time, brother saved me."

"......"

"I really thought I wouldn't be saved because he seemed to be contemplating about it until the last minute."

Duchess Blueport was listening to Dalia with a serious expression. Then, she smiled once Dalia finished talking.

"This generation Duke Pesteros, even if he says he doesn't like it, he's not being honest."

Dalia looked up at her, asking for an explanation because she didn't know what the Duchess was talking about.

The Duchess said in a gentle voice, sweeping her lovely brown hair aside.

"......"

"It must have been his pure will to save Dalia, not because you were useful. So Dalia too, don't worry too much about it."

She didn't expect it at all.

Dalia felt strange. It felt similar to when she first saw Hikan's lonely face.

Duchess Blueport seemed to understand everything.

"Dalia, I also used to have a very strong personality."

Dalia replied in surprise.

"Goodness. You're lying, aren't you?"

"It's true."

Even so, Duchess Blueport with a bad personality like Hikan sounds totally absurd.

"I've changed since I met my husband. People can change. So Dalia, don't forget that."

"......"

Dalia saw the Duchess smile.

The Duchess's gaze at her was really warm as if she were looking at her own child. Even though most of her face was covered with a mask, she still could see it.