Chapter 17: Set the Stage

(Just want to say thanks for everyone reading and I appreciate any and all feedback.)

Zatanna's POV:

I left (Y/n)'s room completely exhausted and with my hair a mess. I don't know how he had that much energy left after the constant battles of the previous two days. I turned to face Artemis, M'gann and Raquel walking down the hall. They all started giggling and whispering to each other when they saw me.

Artemis: "You look like you had fun."

Raquel: "I wondered why you were so eager to leave the rest of us."

M'gann: "Oh come on, she practically sprinted with him to his room."

Zatanna: "Okay! I get it!"

My face was bright red and my outburst only caused the girls to giggle more.

Raquel: "I thought you'd be sleeping in there."

Raquel gestured towards (Y/n)'s room and I let out a small sigh. There's nothing I want more than to hold him while I drift to sleep, but he needs his rest and my presence will only further... distract us.

Zatanna: "(Y/n)'s tired and sore, I think I'll just let him rest tonight."

M'gann: "Well, I'm going to bed. I can't keep my eyes open any longer."

Artemis: "Uhh I feel like I could sleep for a week."

Raquel: "Same, that was an exhausting 48 hours."

M'gann and Raquel entered their rooms for the night. After a short walk Artemis and I arrived at my door, I was about to enter when she grabbed my hand.

Artemis: "Hey Zatanna, can we talk for a minute."

Zatanna: "Sure Artemis, everything ok?"

Artemis: "H-have you told (Y/n) you love him?"

The question caught me off guard to say the least, I froze for a moment before answering.

Zatanna: "W-well yeah, of course I have. I love him."

Artemis: "I-I don't know how to tell Wally..."

Zatanna: "That you love him?"

Artemis stayed silent but looked into my eyes. I think I know what she's afraid of.

Zatanna: "Artemis, he does love you. It's obvious, look how he acts."

Artemis: "I-I just don't want to scare him."

Zatanna: "I'm sure you won't. He cares so much about you."

Artemis: "Thanks Zatanna, I'll see you in the morning."

Zatanna: "Goodnight Artemis."

I hugged Artemis before quickly returning to the kitchen to grab a glass of water, then entering my room and getting ready for bed.

I changed into a t-shirt and shorts to sleep. After I turned the lights off I curled up under the blankets and instantly passed out.

————————————————————————

I awoke inside a large office building. I was laying on the floor and could barely get up off of it. My vision is all cloudy and I can't speak. Looking around I can't find anything that would set this office building apart from any other except...

The small groups of cubicles have the names of different countries attached to the top of their dividers. At the far end of the room mounted on the wall, a CIA seal with American flags on either side.