Chapter 18: Another Close Call

(Y/n)'s POV:

I was in the helicopter approaching Narvik. The entire Team was on edge. I was terrified of what Keener may do to Zatanna, my heart racing and blood boiling. But being pissed off isn't going to help anyone. I can't make a careless decision and I can't make a mistake. Zatanna, Dick, M'gann, Barbara and Conner all depend on us.

Greystone: "30 seconds to drop zone!"

(Y/n): "Stick to the plan, break through the garage and rush the command center before he has a chance to escape or hurt any of the hostages."

Greystone: "I'll drop you just outside the forest. It's a five minute walk to the target zone!"

Zatanna's POV:

I was dragged to the front of the garage soaking wet and freezing cold. Keener dumped buckets of water on all of us, waking everyone up. I was already awake but not spared from the shock the cold water gave us.

We were lined up facing the outside and forced down on our knees. The snow blew into the garage, occasionally blinding. That combined with the temperature being -15C made it terrible for everyone but especially me. Alicia noticed my increased shivering in the freezing temperature.

Alicia: "Keener give the girl a blanket she's going to get hypothermia!"

Keener walked in front of me holding something. It looked like a vest...Oh god please no! He's got a suicide vest!

Alicia: "Keener what the fuck! She's a kid, you saw her file she's barely 18! What the hell's wrong with you!"

Keener: "That's enough out of you! Go get ready for the evacuation."

Keener placed the vest overtop of my head and secured the straps around my waist. He placed the detonator in my hand and forced my thumb down on it. I'm shaking. I don't know if it's from the cold or the fear of what's about to come next.

Zatanna: "P-please don't do this."

Keener: "Shut the fuck up! I've had it with you and your friends. Your usefulness is at an end. One magic word out of your mouth and everyone here dies, got it?"

I nodded my head yes and closed my eyes in a vain attempt to fight off tears. I've seen the clips on the news and heard some of the horror stories of hostages put in these types of vests, they rarely survive.

The following minutes felt like an eternity. The cold kept seeping through my body. I held down the trigger as tightly as I could, shaking in fear and from the cold.

I stared out at the tree line with a small dirt road disappearing into it. I couldn't see anything or anyone. I managed to get a quick glance to my right and see Robin and Batgirl in a similar position to myself, minus the suicide vest. They looked tired and hurt, we all were. They didn't get a chance to make eye contact with me as Keener hit my back with his rifle.

Keener: "Eyes forward witch!"

I could hear Keener pacing back and forth behind me. I'm trying not to think about the vest he has strapped on me. I know this isn't going to end well. Keener suddenly stopped and yelled out into the wilderness.

Keener: "(Y/n), I know you're out there! Step out into the clearing or the witch and your friends get it!"

My heart stopped and I desperately looked around for (Y/n).

(Y/n)'s POV:

Keener: "(Y/n) I know you're out there! Step into the clearing or the witch and your friends get it!"

Black Canary: "How does he know?!"

(Y/n): "He's good, I'll give him that. Make sure you get in position on either side of the garage and take the shot if you have to."