Chapter 51: A Sentinel of Order

3rd Person POV:

Zatanna stepped into the tower of Fate, determined to put an end to whatever games Fate was playing with their destinies.

Dr. Fate immediately appeared in a bright flash, blinding Zatanna before lowering himself to the ground.

Dr. Fate: "Child of magic, why are you here?! I have not summoned you, you are not ready!"

Zatanna: "I'm through with your goddamn games! You are going to get everyone together and we are going to rescue (Y/n)!"

Dr. Fate: "You know little of what is transpiring here, your agent is worth sacrificing to Circe for some time if it means order prevails throughout the world."

Zatanna: "NO! He's not worth sacrificing! I'm more than ready to beat Circe and if you told me what I'd be going up against in the first place I would've been ready! She's been in my head for months!Tormenting me every night I'm alone, away from (Y/n)!"

Dr. Fate flinched at the mention of Zatanna's nightmares, specifically how they went away when she spent nights without (Y/n). The Lord of Order retreated away towards the giant bell in the center of the tower and opened a portal for Zatanna to walk through.

Dr. Fate: "This conversation is over, you are not ready."

Zatanna: "This pocket watch says otherwise. Elbmessa enoyreve ew deen ot taeb Ecric!"

Dr. Fate froze in midair, a split second later the god had opened several portals around Zatanna. Wonder Girl, Blue Beetle, Traci, Mary and Khalid entered the Tower with a look of confusion across their faces.

Dr. Fate crashed down to the ground as the portals snapped shut and a white aura formed around Zatanna's body. She started levitating a few feet above the ground as Fate fell to his knees.

Zatanna: "We are going to stop Circe and rescue (Y/n), and we are going now!"

Dr. Fate slowly stood up as the effects of Zatanna's spell wore off. Zatanna found herself holding her breath as she awaited Fate's reaction.

Dr. Fate: "You need to know, when the time comes, you will be alone against Circe. If we are to save Vanguard and prevent Circe from breaking the spell containing her, we must divide our forces. I can repair the spell and ensure it will never weaken again, but to do so I must be here, in the tower. Wonder Girl, Blue Beetle and Khalid will be needed to distract Circe's army and lead it away from the castle. That will leave you, Traci and Mary to deal with Circe, (Y/n) and Constantine."

Zatanna: "How do I free him?"

Dr. Fate: "You must break Circe's hold over him, you have everything you need to bring your agent home."

Zatanna: "Let's get going."

Fate opened a portal and the group rushed through, arriving in a field. The group could see Circe's castle in the distance. In the foreground before the castle, the group saw a large army marching towards them, burning the forest as they advanced.

Smoke already filled the air as ashes started to land all around the heroes.

————————————————————————

In the main courtyard of Circe's castle, (Y/n) was dressed in a medieval chainmail armour with a white chest plate. The agent has a bow and arrow over his shoulder and a sword attached to his belt. His now purple eyes shone brightly as Circe stepped up to his side. The pair were watching Circe's army prepare defences of the castle for the inevitable attack.

Circe: "I can feel that Nabu is starting to strengthen the spell keeping me bound to this horrible place. If he finishes it I won't be able to project magic beyond the beaches of this island. We must deal with the magical children he's unleashed against us before capturing Zatanna and breaking the spell."