Chapter 79: Rebirth

(A/N):

Hello, there!

I'm sorry for the massive delay in getting this chapter out. I've been dealing with some writers block in recent weeks.

Anyway I'm hoping to work through it by taking a short break and working on my LOK book in the meantime. I'm not really happy with this chapter but I think it's good enough to release. The next couple chapters will be filled with a lot more action and moving the plot along, I just needed to cover some things that weren't set up in previous chapters.

Thanks again for your support, it means the world to me.

-MattFromWii

————————————————————————

3rd Person POV:

The convoy of FBI vehicles slowly drove through the destroyed city, making its way out of the once beautiful city.

Inside the largest armored car, Amanda Waller sat alone, across from (Y/n) who was already planning his escape. The former agent was stripped of all his gear and electronics which were transported in a separate car but he was convinced he didn't need them.

The agent was handcuffed and the cuffs were connected to a chain bolted to the center of the vehicle. Despite protests from her agents, Waller insisted she ride alone with the Division agent.

(Y/n): "What do you really hope to gain by arresting me? You have to know the Justice League will work to free me at the first opportunity."

The director of Cadmus looked up at him with a worried expression, like she had a thousand thing on her mind and was unsure of how to deal with them.

Waller: "Contrary to what you and the rest of the world believe, I'm not here to force you into Task Force X. I'm here because you're the only person who may believe what I'm about to tell you and I need your help."

The agent stayed silent, focusing on Waller as she fumbled around with a file.

Waller: "I didn't authorize the hit on your agents. My men carried the orders out, but I nor the president ever wanted this. By the time I realized what was actually happening, it was too late to stop it."

(Y/n): "What are you saying?"

Waller: "We're under attack. A stateless enemy bent on starting World War 3. It can be everywhere at once yet you'll never find it. It's infiltrated every major nuclear power and every minor one. You won't see it coming until it's too late."

(Y/n): "What are you talking about?"

Waller: "When the Division was founded ISAC was built with failsafes as part of its code, to ensure it never developed a will of its own and to ensure it couldn't be used for the wrong purposes. Seven years ago Aaron Keener came to Cadmus and offered to help us build our own ISAC. The Division hadn't been activated and the idea seemed enticing enough to my predecessor that he greenlit the operation. Two years and an abundance of resources later the project was almost finished. But Cadmus got wise. They learned that Keener was keeping secrets and caught him trying to upload unauthorized code to the program. They kicked him out and threatened to have him arrested unless he destroyed all traces of the artificial intelligence."

The opened the file and handed it to (Y/n), it proved everything that she told him. Time stamps, photos, everything was there. Including the AI's name. A.N.N.A.

(Y/n): "You've got to be kidding me."

Waller: "He must've smuggled out a copy of the AI when Cadmus shut down the project. It's our worst fears being realized. An Artificial Intelligence that can infiltrate everything connected to the internet, and never leave a trace."