Chapter 72: Nevermore

(A/N): Hello there,

Sorry for the delay in getting this chapter up, it largely required a rewrite which is part of the reason it's taken me a while to get it up.

I hope you enjoy the conclusion to season 3. I appreciate all your support.

Thanks again,

MattFromWii

—————————————————————————

3rd Person POV:

Three large transport trucks rumbled through the Markovian capital. The streets were largely crowded with a mix of supporters and protesters of the coup d'état, but by what would look like a miracle to any outsider, the trucks pushed through. In reality the rogue agents inside the trucks had infiltrated the local police force and mapped themselves a route to the castle that was clear of any interference.

Small riots had broken out in the city and sparked fires throughout the government districts. Fredrick DeLamb was forced to deploy soldiers to deal with the protesters, thus weakening the defenses around the royal palace.

After several minutes of driving through the empty streets, the truck convoy arrived at the last military checkpoint before the royal palace. The three guards stopped the trucks and approached the driver of the first truck.

The guard casually approached the truck as the driver reached for a pile of documents resting on the passenger seat. Each former agent spoke a dozen languages and had perfect cover stories set up, making it almost impossible for the guard to realize anything suspicious.

Guard: "What's all this?"

Driver: "Two of us have small arms, the other has anti-tank and anti-air weapons. DeLamb wants security increased, the soldiers got held up by the protests, they're truck should be here soon."

The driver handed over the fake documents and the guard casually flipped through them before handing them back to the driver.

Guard: "I'll have to check the cargo."

Driver: "Of course, go right ahead."

The first guard started walking towards the back of the truck but was quickly stopped by his partner.

The second guard insisted that he could check the cargo as it was almost time for the first guard's break.

The second guard walked to the back and opened up the trailer, coming face to face with the dozen rogue agents inside and their weapons. He nodded to the agents and shut the doors after pretending to inspect the cargo for a few seconds.

After repeating the same process with the next two trucks the undercover guard waved them on.

Driver: "Thank you gentlemen, stay safe tonight."

The trucks started moving once again, slowly climbing the twists and turns of the mountain road up to the palace.

————————————————————————

*Gotham City, Barbara's Apartment*

A knock rang out from Barbara's front door and she immediately opened it. Jefferson Pierce sighed as Barbara turned around and made her way back into her apartment, leaving the door open for him without saying a word.

Barbara: "I was expecting you."

Jefferson: "Yeah, I can tell."

The former Leaguer entered the apartment and closed the door behind him. Despite Barbara inviting him to take a seat, he stayed in place by the front door, an uncertain feeling gripping his body.