Chapter 21: Disaster

(Y/n) POV:

I awoke to Zatanna sleeping on my chest. I didn't want to wake her so I stayed perfectly still. I lost track of time and drifted back to sleep.

I awoke to Zatanna kissing my cheek and playing with my hair.

Zatanna: "Morning sleeping beauty."

(Y/n): "You know I was up before you."

Zatanna: "Sure you were. Admit it, you're exhausted from last night."

(Y/n): "I think you forgot what happened."

Zatanna: "I think you'll need to remind me."

Zatanna wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me. She moaned into my lips when I grabbed her waist and the back of her head. We spent almost an hour making out and giggling like children on my bed. I loved every second of it.

We eventually got dressed and went into the kitchen for breakfast before we missed it completely.

Raquel: "You two are late... again. Forget to set an alarm or something?"

Zatanna: "Something like that."

Zatanna joined the girls on the couch and I went into the kitchen to grab some food for us.

Dick: "Forget to 'set an alarm' again."

I glared at him for a second before smiling as I repeated exactly what Zee said moments before

(Y/n): "Something like that."

I noticed Wally was making two plates of food and being extremely careful... well not careful but way less reckless than he normally was when preparing food for himself. He must be bringing the plates to eat with Artemis in the medbay.

(Y/n): "How is she?"

Wally: "Awake and in a lot of pain. The medication helps but she's refusing to take most of the painkillers. She's afraid that she won't be able to shoot her bow again, that the painkillers will numb her senses and she'll be forced to go through physiotherapy."

(Y/n): "Mind if I come visit when you guys are done with breakfast?"

Wally: "I'm sure she'd love to see everyone."

His voice was dull. I think he's just as afraid as Artemis, if not more.

(Y/n): "Listen, you staying positive is key to her maintaining hope that she'll be okay. I'll go with you and see if I can convince her to take some of the medication."

Wally: "It's not that I haven't been positive! It's her family history. Her father would 'test' her and her sister regularly. She's used to being 100% in control of her senses and having them put on a high that dulls the pain she's in... she sees it as unnatural and is afraid of what might happen to her."

(Y/n): "It's going to be alright Wally."

Wally left to bring the food to Artemis, throughout breakfast I was constantly thinking about Artemis's condition. Dick told the rest of the team the situation and it quickly ruined any happy mood that the team had. Wally brought the plates back to the kitchen about half an hour later. At least Artemis ate her breakfast as both the plates were empty. I left the kitchen after putting my plate in the dishwasher and went back to my room. I grabbed my watch and then quickly made my way to the med bay.

I knocked on the door and waited a moment before opening it. I was greeted with a scream of pain as I saw Artemis attempting to put on a jacket over a baggy t-shirt that looked like it belonged to Wally.

Artemis: "AHH! Damn it!"

Artemis violently kicked a small garbage can, sending it flying across the room, the small amount of garbage in it spilled out across the floor. I sighed which caught her attention and she turned to face me enraged and on the verge of tears. I felt Wally run past me and stop just before Artemis. He quickly wrapped her in a hug as I picked up the garbage and put the garbage can back in its proper spot.