Chapter 43: The Guest House

3rd Person POV:

Dick crashed onto his hotel bed in the early morning. The Bat-Family had quickly moved to New York and started searching for Joker only to once again find no trace of the clown.

Dick's mind was racing. The group had been searching for 48 hours and hadn't found a single trace of the Joker. Everyone from the street level thugs to the higher ups in the various mafia families and triads haven't heard or seen anything related to the Joker.

Dick sighed and turned on the tv as he relaxed into his bed. He eventually settled on the GBS news channel and groaned when he saw the coverage.

Godfrey: "That's right folks, we're here live at the U.N general assembly in New York for the first appearance of the newest Secretary General, Lex Luthor."

Godfrey and Cat Grant stepped aside as the camera focused on the stage in the background. Lex Luthor slowly walked to the center of the stage, waving and smiling for the cameras and cheering crowd.

Cat: "Luthor has promised to unite the world in the aftermath of the failed Reach invasion as well as providing a stronger hand to law enforcement around the world, pledging to create a board to help coordinate the many law enforcement agencies of every nation in the battle against super powered criminals."

Dick couldn't help but roll his eyes as the camera followed Luthor around as he signed autographs for the crowd of people close to the stage.

Cat: "Luthor has also pledged to re-evaluate the Justice Leagues charter and the U.N's relationship with the League. This comes after numerous complaints about covert teams of heroes working for the League and violating the charter. The complaints have so far been presented without evidence, and the countries putting the formal complaints forward have refused U.N investigators access to the scenes the violation supposedly took place."

Godfrey: "Yes folks your ears aren't lying to you, we finally have some government officials who will uphold the rule of law and rein these loose cannons so often call heroes in. Hopefully Secretary General Luthor can force the Justice League to remain accountable to the people they supposedly protect."

Dick groaned in annoyance before turning off the tv and passing out a few moments later.

————————————————————————

A large number of Joker's crew were assembling their weapons and ammunition in a very large open room. The small army of criminals had assembled police body armour with automatic weapons of all kinds. Joker laughed as his men attached gas masks to their belts in preparation for the attack.

Joker loaded a handgun before stuffing it inside of his signature purple jacket and laughing.

Joker: "Has the video been sent?"

Criminal: "Yes boss. The recording was delivered to the proper address, though I'm not sure how you expect this Vandal guy to get it from the weird temple."

Joker: "It did, our partner assured me it would. Is everything ready?"

Criminal: "Yes, the ambassadors are just entering the assembly room now."

————————————————————————

(Y/n) POV:

We saw it on the news before I got the alert from ISAC. A massive explosion at the U.N.

Zatanna changed us into our mission gear with a quick spell and I grabbed my rifle from the hidden armoury in our apartment.

We raced to the closest zeta tube and teleported to New York. When we stepped out into the street we knew there was no way we would get to the U.N in time. The busy late morning traffic had completely ground to a halt as emergency crews and first responders tried to get through. Most police and SWAT units I saw had just abandoned their vehicles and started running through the gridlock.