Chapter 41: Endgame

(Y/n) POV:

The alert came faster than we anticipated. We went to the Warehouse to kill time and attempt to relax after finishing dinner. M'gann and Conner left for Rimbor so they could deliver the evidence exonerating the League.

After about three hours at the Warehouse we got the alert. ISAC's voice completely wiped away any trace of happiness, leaving us all more concerned and fearful. We all knew the Reach weren't the type to go down quietly and without a massive fight. We were right.

ISAC: "Emergency transmission received."

Everyone's faces went white. I raised my arm and pressed a button on my watch, playing the message.

Kelso: "Hey kid, get your friends and gear up. POTUS cleared an attack on the Reach flagship. We're going in. You'll lead the boarding party."

Everyone's eyes were glued to me. I couldn't think. Then in a split second, I got over my hesitation and realized what I needed to do. The Ambassador was already dead. I need to kill Black Beetle and avenge my agents. It's the only way I'll be able to look at my watch and not feel incredibly guilty for not stopping their deaths.

(Y/n): "Gear up. Nightwing, get the Team ready. Tell them to join the battle the second they are ready. Zee, would you mind doing the honours."

Zatanna: "Sserd su rof elttab!"

Our outfits all suddenly changed in a puff of smoke and we were all in our mission uniforms. I strapped on my helmet and loaded my rifle while walking onto the bio-ship.

Kaldur: "Black Beetle will be waiting for us."

Zatanna: "We will need to face him together. It'll be the only chance we have at stopping him."

(Y/n): "I'll handle Black Beetle. Just focus on neutralizing the entire Reach ship before they can launch some form of counter attack."

Artemis: "How do you plan on dealing with Black Beetle?"

(Y/n): "I'm going to burn his armour off and go from there."

As the bio-ship took off for New York, I could tell that everyone was less than confident in my plan. After a few minutes of awkward silence they finally asked me for more details.

Nightwing: "Okay, just out of curiosity... how exactly are you going to "burn off his armour?"

(Y/n): "Carefully."

Kid Flash: "This isn't funny."

(Y/n): "Please just trust me. I know I'm keeping everyone here in the dark but I need to do this alone. I need to be able to sleep at night and I can't do that until I fix my mistake."

Rocket: "What mistake?"

(Y/n): "Lyon. I need to avenge my agents. I need to take down Black Beetle by myself."

Zatanna: "You're insane if you think we're letting you walk into that fight alone! Despite what you may think you're no match for him, not alone."

(Y/n): "Zee, I'm doing this. I need to. I was responsible for them. I let them down. This is my fight and my fight alone."

Zatanna shot out of her chair and raced towards me. She violently slapped me across the face and stared daggers into me. Normally I'd be terrified but I can't back down. I've got to do this my way. If I never do anything on my own again I'll be perfectly fine with it, but this one thing, this one fight, I've got to kill Black.

Zatanna: "No it's not damn it! You're not alone! SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT!"

(Y/n): "Those were my agents. You want to be in this fight... fine! But you better stay out of my way."