Chapter 25: An Attempt at Comfort

(Y/n) POV:

February 13th

Zatanna, Captain Atom, Black Lightning, Dr. Fate and I are standing on the Watchtower's observation deck. Strange and the other S.T.A.R labs scientists have been developing the zeta beam shield for Earth and are finally ready to deploy it.

Strange contacted us when he was ready to activate the shields. With the help of the League and NASA the satellites were placed in orbit at an altitude above the watchtower. Strange is now ready to activate them. We are all eagerly awaiting some good news. The investigation into identifying the Light's new partner is dead in the water.

Strange: "We're ready. Zeta shield relay satellites are all in place..."

Captain Atom nodded at Strange and the activation signal went out from the S.T.A.R labs facility in Taos.

Strange: "Activating satellites.... Congratulations. The zeta shield is now operational."

The transmission ended and we were left standing in the observation deck. I was hoping the activation of the shield would make me feel better, like we accomplished something or put a dent in the Light's plans. Deep down I know the truth, this effort is two little too late. Not to mention there are other ways of instant travel or travel in general that aliens could use to get to Earth.

Also, the bombing of the Kroloteans base proves that the alien force allied with the Light is already on Earth. Though we don't know what their numbers look like it's safe to assume the worst. A massive amount of Kroloteans got on Earth before we found out about them so this could be the same situation.

(Y/n): "You know, I was hoping this shield would make me feel a whole lot better."

Captain Atom: "It's a small victory, but a good one."

Black Lightning: "We will find out who the Light's partner is. It will just take time."

Zatanna: "The problem is it's taking too long."

(Y/n): "Lightnings right. We just have to wait."

Dr. Fate: "Agent. A word."

The room fell silent and my heart skipped a beat. I can still hear Zatara's voice from underneath the helmet. It took me a few seconds to force myself to respond.

(Y/n): "Sure, what's up doc?"

Dr. Fate: "In private."

(Y/n): "Umm... Sure I guess."

I followed Dr. Fate into the Leagues meeting room. Everyone else was giving us a mix of concerned and curious looks. Zatanna straight up looked terrified, can't say I blame her. We both aren't the biggest fans of Dr. Fate after what he did to Zatara.

Once the door closed behind me the god turned to face me and my heart skipped a beat yet again. Fate didn't waste any time, demanding answers from me instantly.

Dr. Fate: "Have you started it?"

(Y/n): "Started what?"

Dr. Fate: "Project Mockingbird."

(Y/n): "How do you know about that?!"

Dr. Fate: "I am a lord of order. I know and see all I need to, in order to ensure chaos does not permanently rise. If it comforts you I know not of what Project Mockingbird is, only that you must start it. It will be needed in the months to come."

(Y/n): "The project started the day after the League left for Rimbor. It's ahead of schedule and should be ready soon."

Dr. Fate just stared at me, I'm not exactly sure what to do. Wait. Wally said when he was in the helmet he could talk to Nabu. Maybe Fate is having a conversation with Zatara inside the helmet.