Chapter 40: The Summit

(Y/n) POV:

Zatanna and I woke up early in the morning. She put on her magicians outfit and I dressed in my combat uniform but without the plate carrier, helmet and backpack.

We barely spoke as we walked to the zeta tube. I have no idea how this conversation with Captain Atom is going to go, but I can't imagine it will go well. Even if it does I doubt I'll be able to convince many agents to willingly work with the League and the Team after they accused us of being war criminals.

I stopped Zatanna and grabbed her hand before she could step into the zeta tube.

(Y/n): "I-I have no idea how this is going to play out."

Zatanna: "I don't either."

We made eye contact and I instantly saw how worried she was.

(Y/n): "No matter what happens on the Watchtower, we're going to be alright."

Zatanna grabbed my collar and pulled me into a quick kiss while the zeta tube activated.

Zatanna: "I love you."

(Y/n): "I love you too."

We stepped into the zeta tube together and I closed my eyes as the light overtook me.

————————————————————————

3rd Person POV:

Deep in the slums of Gotham City, the Joker wakes up in the basement of an abandoned housing complex. The clown prince of crime was knocked out in his Arkham cell by a nerve agent released through the vents.

As Joker picked himself up he found the room he was in to be completely empty with the exception of a small table with a file full of paper resting on it. The floor above was half caved in, creating a large hole in the ceiling.

Joker carefully walked to the table and grabbed the folder, opening it and reading the pages slowly. A smile formed on his face and laughter soon broke the silence as he continued reading the file.

As Joker spread the pages out across the table a small photo fell to the floor. Joker quickly stuffed the rest of the pages back into the folder before reaching down and grabbing the small photo.

The clown took one last look at the photo and the name Zatanna Zatara printed beneath the photo of the magician, before stuffing it back into the folder and laughing hysterically as he exited the abandoned building.

————————————————————————

The meeting on the Watchtower started off incredibly rocky and hasn't improved much in the last half hour. (Y/n) barely spoke and stared daggers into Captain Atom who simply returned the favour.

Aquaman: "With the summit taking place on Santa Prisca it will be impossible for us to detain anyone who attends. We can't legally arrest them."

(Y/n): "Let me worry about that."

Black Lightning: "Haven't you done enough bending the law to your will?"

Captain Atom: "Let me be clear. You may have been proven innocent but you're far from guilt free. If you break the law the League won't hesitate to take you down."

(Y/n): "As if you could if you wanted to."

Captain Atom: "You're on thin ice, (Y/n)."

(Y/n): "It's Vanguard, and for god's sake don't take the coward's way out for five minutes! We were supposed to be allies! You threw that away the first chance you could, and then blamed me! All because the people we're fighting, who's stated goal is our mutual destruction, said I committed a war crime!"