Chapter 55: Home Fires

3rd Person POV:

New York City

A federal reserve truck stops outside the Westfield World Trade Center. The guards carefully unload crates of freshly printed bills for the trade center. The large crates are then quickly moved into a secure storage room where they will be divided up among the various stores that have withdrawn the money from their accounts to be used as a float for the upcoming holiday season.

One of the Federal Reserve agents grabs a crowbar and pry open the lid on a crate. The other agent takes the delivery form to ensure the crates are filled with the correct amount of money for each store.

Guard 1: "I can't wait to be done today and I can't believe that these stores are already preparing for the holiday season. It's only September."

Guard 2: "No kidding. Hey, have you seen the news about the Justice League? They opened a meta-human youth center in Taos, New Mexico."

Guard 1: "Who cares? G. Gordon says it's just a place for the League to train kids to break the law and disobey their parents."

The guard snapped the lid off and a small red liquid shot up, coating the top layer of the new bills and quickly soaking in. In a split second the bills were back to their normal colour, no trace of the red liquid remained.

Guard 1 : "Blah, shit got in my mouth. I swear this new sanitizer is ridiculous."

Guard 2: "Just hold your breath. The boss said it would be in every package."

————————————————————————

Artemis and Will were having an exceptionally busy morning. Artemis was packing up for another day of training with Halo, Geoforce and Forager while Will was packing up a bag full of clothes and drinks for Lian.

Will is taking his daughter to Barry and Iris Allen's home in Star City. Iris has invited all the parents and children with close relation to the Justice League over for a play date.

Most parents have significant others in the League but some like Will are former heroes that retired and moved on from the hero life.

Artemis: "Alright I'm heading out, I'll see you this evening."

Will: "Try not to have too much fun."

Artemis: "I'm sure I won't. (Y/n) said he isn't coming today, he made up some excuse but I think it's because he doesn't trust Dr. Jace. Jeff finally convinced Dick to let him bring her today and I don't think our friendly agent wants any part of it."

Will: "Maybe he's right. She's got a colourful track record to say the least."

Artemis: "Well, we're big on second chances."

Will: "Just watch your back. There's still that Hunter that showed up out of nowhere in Markovia. It could be related to the kids you're training."

Artemis: "I'll be careful. Thanks Will."

————————————————————————

Several hours later (Y/n) and Kelso were flying in a Blackhawk towards the DARPA labs facility in Central City. The two agents are dressed in full tactical gear and are racing to stop a break in.

(Y/n) had promised Mary and Traci that he'd teach them how to shoot properly. Zatanna was initially against it but the agent managed to convince her that the girls should be able to defend themselves without magic.

Just as (Y/n) and Zatanna were about to leave their apartment in the early morning hours, Kelso came crashing through the front door and informed (Y/n) that the Red Hood was sighted at DARPA labs.