(LANCE SWEETS X READER) That's Why I'm Here

TW- There is a brief insinuation of child abuse, but it's like blink and you miss it. It's not explicitly said, but it's there.

Word count: 975

"Yeah, sure. I'll go let him know!" You hung up the phone with Booth and sighed as you pushed away from your desk. You had just got another case and Booth wanted you to go inform Sweets and save him a phone call. Seeing as how you and your boyfriend had offices just across the hall from each other, it really wasn't a big deal. It's not like you had to trek across the entire F.B.I. building.  If that had been the case, you would have told Booth to shove it and just dial Lance's number. 

You tucked your chair in and leaned across the back of it, clicking out of the case file you had been studying. You exhaled as you stood again, stretching your back and hearing it pop. How long had you been sitting? It was noon now so... Nearly eight hours? No wonder you were sore.

You shook your hands out and hobbled to the door. There was work to be done!

Making it across the hall, you opened the first door that led to Sweets' office. The tiny waiting room was quaint, with a small landscape painting on the wall and a tiny plastic plant in the corner.

You crossed the small room and knocked on the door that led to his actual workplace. There was no answer. You knocked again, but still nothing. As far as you could see, there weren't any current patients on the couch. Deeming it safe, you grasped the door knob and cracked the door open, sticking your head into the room.

"Lance?" You said, "You good?"

There weren't any patients, which was good. But you could hear... Breathing. Deep breathing. You closed your eyes and grinned ruefully, shaking your head. You quietly slipped into the room and shut the door behind you. Treading carefully, you made your way to Lance's desk. Rounding the corner, you rolled your eyes fondly at what you found.

Your lovable dork of a boyfriend had his arms crossed on the edge of his desk with his head resting on them. His eyes were closed and a small smile adorned his face. It never ceased to amaze you how young Lance looked when he was asleep.

You knelt down next to him and cringed when your knees popped loudly- Ow- But he didn't stir at the noise. Quickly forgetting your pain, you just stared at him for a bit. It wasn't intended to be creepy, but he was just such an excitable person- It was very rare that he looked so... peaceful. It was strange, but you loved him for it.

You smiled again, part of you wishing you didn't have to wake him from whatever he was dreaming about. At least it wasn't a nightmare. It was a pretty rare occurrence that Lance had pleasant dreams, so you tried to let him be whenever one did come. But Booth needed the both of you, so you, regrettably, had to tear him away from this one.

Gently, you placed your hand on his back. You shook him slightly and whispered, "Laaance... Wake up sleepy head!"

It took a few tries, but he eventually came to. Lance's eyes fluttered and he began stirring. He groaned and hid his face in the crook of his elbow. You laughed softly, pressing a kiss to his temple and running your hand through his dark, curly hair.

"C'mon, Lance," you said, the smile evident in your voice, "Booth's got a case for us."

He lifted his head from his arms enough that you could see into his eyes. "Let me.. Just lemme wake up first, m'kay?" He mumbled.

You grinned softly at him. "Of course, Hun." You ran your fingertips over his back, waiting for him to be able to function again. He yawned and squeezed his eyes shut before reluctantly sitting up. He ran a hand down his face as you stood next to him.

You could see dark circles under his eyes and you pursed your lips. "You're overworking yourself again, aren't you?" You said gently.

He lowered his head and looked down at his lap guiltily. "I don't even realize anymore," he said forlornly.

You both had that problem. It was so easy to cross that line, and you had to make a conscious effort to not step across. But still, there were times when you didn't notice and then you just crashed- both emotionally and physically. It wasn't very fun, but it was just an occupational hazard at this point.

"Hey," you said. Lance looked up at you, his eyes still betraying how tired he was. "You may not notice, but I do. You don't have to notice." You shrugged and grinned perkily, "That's why I'm here!"

He smiled and shook his head, running a hand through his hair. "This is why we're together, you know that?"

"Yeah, I know," you said, "And I love you too, Sweets." You knew how much those words meant to him... especially after everything he'd already been through. There was a reason he was adopted, let's just say that.

He looked up at you and smiled, almost to himself. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and nodded hesitantly. "Thanks," he whispered.

You leaned down and kissed his forehead. He was smiling as you pulled away. You grasped his hand and pulled him up, ignoring the noncommittal noise he made at the prospect of having to stand.

"Come on," you said, "Let's go catch a killer."

A/N
Thanks for reading! I know it's short, but I was writing this during school so-

I just wanted to give my own thing to this fandom. Hope you liked it!