(DSMP-RANBOO) Your Spirit Wild, Your Suffering Brief (6)

Here comes the W H U M P.

Word count: 2985

Philza was not ready for this. He didn't think he'd ever be ready!  Not for this, not for slicing into his own kid's skin with a dagger... Who could ever be ready for that?

And yet, at Kristin's words, he and Techno had stood and prepared.  Techno had taken his sharpest dagger and sharpened it even more, trying to ensure that the cuts would be as clean and as quick as they could get them. 

Phil had changed into an old clean outfit. It had been decided that he would be the makeshift surgeon.  Techno was more suited for melee battles, while Phil had always been incredibly precise.

Kristin had tried to volunteer, but it was eventually settled. Phil would cut, Techno would hold, and Kristin would try to keep Ranboo as calm as possible.  She was the goddess of death, not of healing, but she still had minimal influence over people's emotions. She knew how to calm people down; it was in the job description.

She had, instead, summoned a bucket of lava and an enchanted towel. Endermen couldn't touch water, but lava worked just fine. She explained that someone would have to use something to clean up after, which the boys hadn't even thought of.

Within minutes, the trio was ready.  The spare bed had been pulled into the center of the room so Ranboo wouldn't hurt his wings (either the old or the new sets) if he tried to flap them. 

Phil entered the room, his own wings pulled close to his body, the dagger held tightly in his hand. Kristin was seated at the head of the bed, the young ender hybrid's head laid gently in her lap.  Techno was absent-mindedly running his fingers through Ranboo's black feathers, the nervous energy making it impossible for him to sit still.

Kristin looked up as he walked through the doorway, giving him a small smile.  "Alright," she said, "Let me show you how to do this, Phil."

He nodded mutely, his throat too tight to speak. She leaned over Ranboo's shoulders and gestured for Phil to come closer.  He did, although haltingly. 

Kristin showed him just where he would need to cut, explaining that the wing should pop out on its own. However, if it didn't, he'd need to do a little more finagling until it was finally in the open.  He fervently prayed that it would emerge without help- He wasn't sure he'd be able to take it, if this was prolonged any more than it needed to be.

She warned him to be hyperaware of where the blade was and how deep it had gone.  If he went too deep, he could injure the wing, maybe even cause it to be incapable of flight. But on the other hand, if he cut too shallow, he'd have to go over it again which would just be straight torture. There was a happy medium he had to be aware of- there was no room for trial and error.

Kristin reached for his hand and he willingly gave it, letting her calming influence run through his veins.  "Are you ready?" She asked.

"I have to be," Phil choked out.

"You can do this, Phil," Techno said. He'd stood and made his way a little closer to the others. He knew what his job was. "You can do this."

Phil opened his mouth but the tightness in his throat prevented any sound from escaping.  He rubbed at his eyes, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself. 

Suddenly, he heard a quiet raspy cough.  His eyes shot open and he looked down at Ranboo.  His dual colored eyes were having difficulty focusing, but they were gazing in the general direction Phil was standing in. 

"P'il," he mumbled, "I tr'st you... Just- 'ust get it over w'th."

Phil closed his eyes, pushing the tears away. He could do this. He had to do this.