(DSMP-RANBOO) For I Left Eden's Gardens And Lost My Way Back (1)

Winged Ranboo make my brain go brrrrrr.

This is the first part of the AO3 request, so there'll DEFINITELY be more.

TW's: There really aren't any for this part. This is mostly fluff and plot setup... Maybe Issues with eye contact? That's really it. Enjoy the fluff! It won't last long!

Word count: 1603

There was a lot that Ranboo couldn't remember. He couldn't remember when or where he was born, he didn't know exactly how old he was, he had no idea if his family was even still alive! He didn't know why he was left alone; had he been abandoned or was it his fault? Had he had a loving family that he'd just wandered away from? Was there a family out there somewhere, just waiting for him to come home?

These questions plagued him on a daily basis. He wanted to know, he needed to know the answers, but how can you find the answer to a question you can't remember?

Yet, at the very back of his mind, he thought he could remember some things. He didn't know if they were real memories or if they were just something his mind created to make him feel better. How do you tell the difference between a real memory and a fabrication? Is there even a way?

A beautiful, spectral voice singing a foreign lullaby.

A child's laughter echoing off spacious halls.

Tall, dark figures bowing as he passed, their glowing eyes downturned.

Ranboo decided that if that last one wasn't real, he must have an even bigger ego than Dream. He thought it might be, but he couldn't really tell! And besides, who would be bowing to him? Ranboo was just... Ranboo! Nothing special, just a regular old ender/something hybrid.

"Hey," a gruff voice pulled him from his thoughts, "Server to Ranboo. Ya there, kid?"

Ranboo blinked and raised his head, his four wings shuffling closer to his back. "Huh?" He said, oh so eloquently.

Phil laughed from just ahead of them. "You got a bit lost in your own head there, Ran," he said, a smile evident in his voice, "Tech's been carrying on a full conversation with you and you didn't even realize!"

Ranboo looked to the side, where the piglin was looking more than a little ruffled. "Oh, I'm- I'm sorry, Techno! I don't really know what happened, I just-"

"'Ts fine," the other muttered.

"Ah, come on, mate," Phil said, reigning his horse in to match Carl's pace, "I can't count the times you've done that to me."

"Well, Chat likes to-"

"Oh sure, blame it on the voices in your head-"

"It's true and you know it, ya old man-"

"What a convenient scapegoat, you've got there-"

"They're not a scapegoat, they're literally voices-"

"Blah, blah, blah, voices this, voices that-"

Ranboo tilted his head to the side and watched the two banter. The insults flowed easily, but there was no heat behind them. Had he really been so deep in his own head that he'd missed an entire conversation? How long had he been out?

Ranboo looked down at the saddle in front of him. His wings itched to be released, but civilization was too far away from the Arctic to fly the whole way. He briefly considered asking the others to guide his horse while he flew above, but he didn't want to be a burden. They'd have to stop so he could dismount and that would take time.