(DSMP-RANBOO) Your Spirit Wild, Your Suffering Brief (7)

LAST PART BOISSSS, HERE WE GOOOOOO.

Word count: 1467

When Phil finally appeared again, almost an hour later, the skin on his pale arms was red and raw. He was wearing new clothes, all traces of his son's blood washed from his countenance. His wings and hair were damp. Even with that, he couldn't hide the redness around his eyes.

"Hey, Angel," she said, standing and pulling him into a hug. He wrapped his arms around her waist, burying his head in her shoulder. She turned slightly to press a kiss to the side of her husband's head, running her hands up and down his lower back.

"Can I see him?" He asked in a half-choked voice.

"Of course," Kristin whispered, "go ahead." He pulled away from her, biting his lip as he gazed over her shoulder.

"Philza," she said. He glanced back at her, his eyes strained. "Hey, listen to me, alright? He's going to be okay." She nodded, confident, and squeezed his hands tightly, "I can feel his grasp on life getting stronger with every minute, Phil. He's going to be okay."

He took a deep breath and nodded, his eyes fluttering closed. "Thank you, Kristin," he said softly, "I don't know what we would have done without you."

She smiled slightly. "Of course. I'd do anything for you, you know that."

He looked over her shoulder again and she looked with him. Technoblade was seated next to the bed, just staring at the steady rise and fall of the cloaks piled on top of him as Ranboo breathed.

"Go see for yourself," she murmured, "He should make a full recovery within a few days."

Phil made his way forward, taking a knee next to Ranboo. He just stared at his sleeping face, peeking out from under the piles of fabric on top of him, for a few long moments before whispering, "I'm so sorry, mate." He didn't let the tears fall, but his eyes grew wet and he bit his lip hard. "I'm so, so sorry."

•́ ‿ ,•̀

Just as Kristin had said, Ranboo was making steady uphill progress every day. He couldn't really move around on his own yet, but he could lift his head slightly and hold short conversations with those around him.

The day after the procedure, he was lucid enough to squeeze his friend's hands to answer simple questions. The screaming from the day before had completely stolen his voice, leaving him unable to even make a peep.

Phil had been sitting with him when he woke up. Kristin was in the kitchen, resupplying their now severely depleted potion stores and Technoblade was passed out in his and Phil's room.

The book he held was long forgotten. He just sat and stared at Ranboo, paranoid that if he looked away, even for a second, his chest would still and his last breath would fade into the air around them.

He was staring so intently that he didn't even realize he was being stared back at until Ranboo moved. His wrist twitched and he opened his mouth, seemingly confused when no sound came out.

Phil jumped up and was by his side in an instant. A rush of questions fell from his lips, piling on top of each other as they spilled out of him. "How are you feeling? Are you hurting? What do you need? Can I get you anything? Do you need a potion? Can you breathe alright?"

Ranboo's eyes were wide at the outpouring of concern for his well-being. He flapped one hand at Phil, cutting him off, and gestured to his throat, his brows furrowing in an unspoken question.

Phil took a deep breath, swallowing the rest of his questions. "You were- you were screaming pretty loud, mate," he said softly, unable to meet the young enderman's eyes, "I'm not surprised you've lost your voice."

Ranboo reached out a hand stiffly, his arms still unused to movement. He grabbed at Phil's wrist and squeezed, pulling gently.

Phil looked up at him, only meeting his gaze for a few moments before looking down at his lap. Ranboo yanked on his arm again and Phil really looked at him this time.

Ranboo squirmed a little bit, but he made himself catch the Avian's eyes and mouth 'Thank you.'

Phil's mouth opened and he sucked in a breath. "Don't thank me, kid," he said, his eyes closing, "I- I don't deserve that from you. I hurt you, Ranboo, badly, and even if it was the only way to save your life... I can't forgive myself for what I put you through."

Ranboo shook him head, his grip on Phil's wrist tightening. His eyes were sad, but he was smiling. Slowly, so Phil could understand him, he mouthed, 'But you saved me. That's enough.'

Phil slipped his hand into Ranboo's, nodding lightly. He couldn't quiet believe it, not with the memories still so fresh, but he brought the young boy's hand to his lips and pressed a kiss to the skin. "I'm glad you're alright, Ranboo," he said quietly, "I don't know what I would have done if something had gone wrong."

'Me neither.'

Phil squeezed his hand. "Let me get the others," he said, "We were all pretty worried about you, mate."

Ranboo nodded, letting his eyes fall shut again. He relinquished his grip on Phil so he could stand.

Phil walked out into the hall and stuck his head into the kitchen. "Hey," he said. Kristin looked up from the pot she was stirring. "He's awake."

She nodded, a small smile spreading over her face. "I'll be in in a second with some regen," she informed him.

Phil nodded and turned around, making his way to his bedroom. Technoblade was curled up on his side, his arms wrapped around his waist. Phil walked to his side, gently shaking him awake.

"Hey, mate," he said softly, "Ranboo's awake."

Techno's red eyes shot open and he sat up with a jolt. "He's awake?"

Phil nodded. "He can't talk yet, but he's lucid."

Within moments, the piglin was up and down the hall, rushing past his Avian friend in his hurry to be at the young enderman's side. Phil followed him back to the spare bedroom, rubbing at his eyes. He'd been awake for far too many hours.

Kristin had beaten them both there. She had removed the layers of cloaks from his body and helped him sit up, letting all four wings fall over the other side of the bed. He was leaning heavily into her side and having trouble keeping his head up, but he was upright and holding a half-filled potion bottle.

Techno hesitated at the doorway and breathed, "Ranboo." He rushed into the room as the teen glanced up, shooting his friend a warm smile. Techno dropped to one knee, his hands coming to rest on Ranboo's shoulders. "Never grow more wings," he said sternly.

Ranboo tried to laugh but he just started coughing, his voice not quite up to the challenge yet. 'Not planning on it, Tech,' he mouthed.

"Good." He nodded once before pulling the tall boy's lanky body into his arms. "My heart will give out before I let you even think about it." Ranboo nuzzled his face in Techno's shoulder, doing his best to return the crushing hug with the limited strength he had left.

Kristin had her hand on his upper back, placed right between the joints of his black wings. She was watching her boys with a tender smile on her face. Phil was leaning against the doorway, arms crossed over his chest, his black crow wings slumping from their tightly-wound place at his back. Technoblade had bumped his head against Ranboo's, a sign of affection only used for the closest members of a Sounder. Ranboo had his eyes closed, a tired smile on his face, his ears perked forward. His long tail fell off the bed behind him, the tuft at the end swaying in contentment.

Lady Death knew that there would be hard days ahead for all of them. It would take a while for Philza and Technoblade to forgive themselves for the pain they had brought to the youngest member of their family. Tensions would run high some days as the healing continued. There would be things that Ranboo would need to relearn how to do, such as flying and walking with the new additions to his body.

But Kristin knew that they would be okay. Above everything, they had saved his life. He was forever indebted to them... and he wasn't the only one. Kristin smiled slightly. Once he was recovered enough, she would leave. There were two wives in The End who would be very interested to know the whereabouts of their lost prince.