(DESTIEL) Damaged but Beautiful

TW- some gore, typical whump stuff, and some self image issues.  Also dogs, for anyone who's sensitive to that.

Word count: 1752

Hellhounds, Dean decided, are the worst. An amateur hunter, a young man named Jim, had asked for some help taking down some kind of monster that was wreaking havoc in a little town in Massachusetts. He'd called Mary first, but she was busy with Ketch, a fact that Dean was none too happy about. Mary had called Sam and asked that they go help the kid out and they couldn't just say no! They had people to help.

Reaching the one-stop-light town, Sam had figured out pretty quickly that they were dealing with demon deals and a hellhound. Jim came with Dean while Sam stayed with the woman the hellhound had marked as its prey.

And that's how Dean ended up trapped in the spacious attic of an old farmhouse, nothing but a door and the 2 x 4 he'd slid between the handles between him and the bloodthirsty animal. He held his knife tightly, looking around himself for something - anything- else to use. He pushed the Holy-Oil-scorched glasses up his face and took a deep breath. This was nothing he hadn't done before, but it didn't make it any less nerve wracking.

The door shuddered and he could hear it creaking. Tiny cracks began forming as the weather-worn wood began to break.

He swore. He was without backup here! Sam was with the hellhound's intended victim, ensuring that she was safe, Jim had been slashed across the chest with the beast's dagger-like claws and fallen quite a ways to the bottom of the old farmhouse's rickety staircase. From the angle of his neck, Dean knew he wouldn't be getting back up.

His heart was pounding as he watched the cracks race across the surface of the door. He could hear the monstrous hound ramming its body against the barrier before the door flew open, banging against the walls on either side of it.

The hellhound stood outlined in the moonlight streaming through the holes in the roof. It growled at him, baring its teeth. Dean could see its glowing eyes and the drool leaking out of its mouth. It barked and the sound almost made Dean's heart stop. He hated these things. They'd ripped him apart once, and he never forgot that. But Dean would rather let them tear into him again than send Sam here in his place.

The dog barked once again and charged. Its massive body thumped toward him and Dean stumbled a step back, brandishing his knife in front of him. It leaped at his throat and he sidestepped, slashing his knife through the hound's flank. It howled, black blood oozing from the wound.

It spun back to him, eyes glowing ferociously. Lunging again, Dean tried to step out of its way but it caught his arm in its jaws. He yelled, involuntarily dropping his weapon. Teeth sunk into flesh and shook, yanking Dean along with it.

He grit his teeth and pulled his other elbow back, slamming it into the dog's eye. It released his arm, whining and shaking its head. Dean watched it's silvery shape back away for a moment and used its disorientation to lunge for the dropped knife.

Unfortunately, it seemed to realize what he was trying to do and leaped for him, pinning him to the ground with a paw big enough to decapitate a grizzly. It flipped him over and raked giant claws down his sides. Pain blazed through his entire body, white hot and agonizing.

Dean tried to shove the hound off his torso, but the world was almost spinning and he couldn't get a grip on the dog's short fur. Somewhere in the very back of his mind, Dean screamed one name: Cas!

The hellhound reared back, jaws open and ready to clamp around Dean's throat. This was it, he was dead. And then its eyes blazed white as the tip of an angel blade was shoved through its head, poking through the top of it's gaping mouth.