(ENVY X READER, FMA:B) Not On My Watch

TW- BURNS. A LOT OF BURNS. Uh, attacking with intent to kill? Thanks Mustang. I think that's it?

Word count: 1587

Where could they be?! You had made it underground, but had gotten yourself completely turned around. You could feel the weight in your stomach, telling you that something big was going down. It was heavy and cumbersome, but it had never been wrong so far.

"Where could you have gotten off to, you stupid homunculus?" You growled to yourself. Envy just had to go and get himself in trouble again, huh? Fine, you'd just have to get him out of it... Again.

You could feel the massive pressure of the chi flowing freely down here. You had tried to follow it to the source, but the tunnels under Central were like an unsolvable maze!

And then... /Oh sweet mercy./ It was a scream. You felt the sound reverberate within you, making your bones ache and your head pound. You knew that scream; it haunted you. You knew right then that you had greatly underestimated the situation.

"Envy..." You breathed. The weight in your stomach grew ten fold as dread took full control. Envy needed help. He needed you! But where the h*ll WAS he?

You took off at a sprint, following the incessant screams of your homunculus. The tortured sounds were getting louder and you expected to find Envy around every corner- but you never did and they just kept fading as you ran! You spun around and went back the way you came, hoping to find him before- No. No, he can't die. You promised you'd be by his side, d**n it!

Your breath was heaving and ripping the inside of your chest, but you couldn't slow down. No, you'd kill yourself before you gave up on him.

It went deathly silent. You immediately jerked to a stop, blocking all thoughts from your head as you listened to the sounds around you. Please... Oh please, whatever deity was out there-

There were voices coming from... The left!

You spun in the direction of the faint sounds and took off, on the hunt once again. You were praying, pleading with whatever higher power was out there, to let you help the one person who never abandoned you. 'Please,' you repeated, 'don't let him be gone.'

And then the screams began again. Again! Your heart nearly burst! He was still alive! And they were SO CLOSE.

And then, at last, you exploded out of the darkness and into another tunnel. And this one wasn't empty!

In the middle of the tunnel, there were people! You could make out the figure of Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye, standing quietly behind the imposing figure of the Flame Alchemist himself: Colonel Roy Mustang.

You could see right then why he'd been dubbed a Hero of Ishval. Flames surrounded the space in front of him, deadly accurate and focused, as was his rage. And the screams... Were coming from the center of that whirlwind of flames!

"Envy-" you chocked on the smoke and the smell of burning flesh.

Bracing yourself, you took a deep breath and screeched, "MUSTANG!"

The flames surrounding Envy diminished as the Colonel lost his intense concentration. He turned to look at you, confused when all he saw was a blur of color as you rammed your shoulder into his side. He stumbled, falling to the ground as you spun around and put yourself in front of the shaking homunculus.

You were panting heavily, your throat burning. But you swore that you'd burn to a crisp before Mustang could do anymore damage.

Hawkeye had her gun up and aimed at you, but she seemed hesitant to shoot at a human ally.