Chapter 12

(Xena's pov)

Is that her name? Sky? Who is she? How do they know each other?

"I spoke to that girl, she said you were in here" I explained as I looked around at the barn that was in perfect condition compared to their house.

"What do you want?" He asks me in a soft tone, he looks like he's been crying. Was that girl his girlfriend? Did they break up?

"I want to know why you're not at the academy" I said crossing my arms

He looked at the ground. "Because I can't go" he mumbled.

"Why not?"

"Does it even matter? I can't go....that's all you need to know"

I roll my eyes and step towards him "are you going to tell me or not? I don't have all day."

He stands there quietly still looking at his feet for a moment then he lets out a sigh "my mom is sick....I can't afford a caretaker and I can't leave her alone here" he explained

"Well what about your father? Where is he?"

"The hospital.... we've been working non-stop to pay for his medical. That's why we can't pay for home repairs" he sniffled and tears trickled down his cheeks.

I sat there staring at him for a while.

He can't be serious? Is he....dumb?

"Take her to the hospital. After you get your ID and I scan you in, your benefits will be available to you. Then the school will pay for her hospital bills" I suggest.

He immediately looks up and meets my gaze. He looks confused and shocked.

"can I really do that?"

I didn't answer, I just got on the phone and called the ambulance. Not too long after, they came to get her and took her away.

"You're riding with me, get in" I said sitting in the driver's seat "we'll get there a lot faster by car, if you get on the train at this hour it'll be too late by the time you get there and you'll be asked to leave" I explain

I can tell he wants to make a fuss but he doesn't, he just accepts defeat and gets in.

🧚🏼‍♀️

(Shiloh's pov)

I wanted to say goodbye to Sky before I left. We made lunch plans for tomorrow and I really hope I can make it.

I looked out of the window, looking at the city beneath us. It's so much cooler flying with no fog.

"Get comfortable it's going to take a while" Xena said

"Thanks.....for the ride, I mean"

"Don't mention it"

She looks really nice today.

Her hair is super fluffy just like a cloud, it's a dark brown; almost black but not quite. I want to touch it but I wouldn't dare, I think she'd actually kill me.

Her skin is medium-deep with a red undertone, and her eyes are kind of a reddish brown color.

She's wearing more of a soft glam look today, it's really pretty.

Her lips are nude and glossy and with a champagne shimmer.

She has a black mock neck on that's tucked into her black dress pants.

I can't see her shoes but I'd bet they're really nice.

She cuts an eye at me "what?" She asks

"No-nothing!" I say straightening up in my seat

She rolls her eyes. Silence settled over us for a while, then she spoke "was she your girlfriend?"

"Huh?!"

"That girl you were with in the barn....who is she?"

"Why? Did she say something rude to you?"

"No, I'm just..... curious"

I don't know what to say, I kissed Sky so I guess we're dating now? Or maybe not, I'm not sure.

"Well....we-"

"Nevermind, it's none of my business. I apologize if I've made you uncomfortable"

"No! It's okay....I'm not uncomfortable" I said awkwardly while looking out of the window

"Let's just..... listen to music" she turns on a jazz playlist and we didn't speak or even look each other's way for a while.