7

Avoidance seemed to be Leo's best friend lately.

After his cryptic sentence, which Leo deemed to be a stupid mistake, he ran from Jack. Shocking isn't it? The blonde called his name repeatedly, scrambling to catch up to him as he too ran from the bleachers. 

Of course Leo was faster, taking every unnecessary twist and turn as he entered the school building, all to avoid Jack's further questions.

Why did Leo even bring up the topic to begin with? The last thing Jack needed was to hear Leo's problems, not when he made it clear he was nowhere near okay himself.

You're selfish.

So that's how Leo found himself hiding in the janitors closet. He felt it were the only safe place to continue his childish game of hide and seek. Neither Jack or Emilio would find him in here, the janitor would, but Leo would deal with that issue when the time comes.

Turns out like everything else in this world, even time was against him.

"Whatcha doing in 'ere kid?" Donnie; the sixty year old janitor asked, staring at Leo with one fluffy grey eyebrow raised.

"Sorry, Donnie." Leo breathed, pulling the straps of his back pack tighter, he made his way out of the small closet. He liked Donnie, everyone did. That didn't mean Leo could handle being in such a confined space with the man. This closet was far too small for that. "Just needed a breather."

"Best get to class now, eh?" Donnie nodded his head towards the clock on the adjacent white wall of the school hallway. "Less than five minutes till the bell goes, I'm guessing you've already skipped first?"

With a guilty nod, Leo confirmed Donnie's guess.

"Can't be skipping another so soon then, can you?"

"No, sir." Leo agreed solemnly. Donnie had caught Leo skiving in here more times than the teen cared to admit. "Bye Donnie."

"Bye Leo, I'm guessing I'll see you again at some point today?"

Leo laughed lightly. Of course Donnie knew he'd be seeing Leo during fifth period, he did have chemistry then, but Leo's teacher — to put it nicely — bores the living shit out of him. The pensioner can barley see the students, let alone teach them.

"Mhm, I've got chemistry after lunch."

"Chess?" Donnie asked with a grin.

"Only if we're betting with cash Donnie." Leo smirked, "I'm sure I'll whip your ass again."

"I won that game kid!"

"Sure you did," Leo rolled his eyes. Donnie just couldn't handle the fact that Leo beat him, what a sore loser. "See ya!"

Leo slowly made his way toward his history class, he'd hoped if he got there soon enough then he wouldn't have to deal with Em straight away. Leo could simply take his seat and ponder for the next forty-five minutes on what he would say to his best friend.

Thankfully for once, hope seemed to be on Leo's side. Hallelujah. He arrived at his history classroom just as the bell rang and Mrs. Evans, one of the very few teachers Leo didn't mind — was already in the room, meaning that Emilio wouldn't get the chance to question Leo so quickly.

With a small nod in acknowledgement towards said teacher, Leo made his way to the back of the class room, sitting down in his assigned seat. Yes, assigned. Another reason Leo was grateful he was so early, whilst he sat at the back of the class, Emilio's assigned seat was all the way at the front.

As the students poured in, Leo bit on his nails anxiously. Emilio would no doubt be pissed, Leo had been ignoring his every call and text since Saturday after all.