84 | i can be your hero baby

A/N: sorry it's late!

Kaden was terrified of hospitals.

It was a fact no one knew, a truth he kept hidden deep in the tissue of his heart; surrounded by the safety of his rib cage and solid muscle.

And that's where it would stay, he was sure of it.

After all, he had a big heart, people always said he was a nice, well-mannered boy. Well, kinda. Okay, not really. Killian was the nice one of the two. But, still, regardless of that, Kaden had this ridiculous, childlike thought that maybe the muscle of his heart would be strong enough to keep that fear at bay; to weigh it down and stop it resurfacing in daunting moments like this.

Moments where he'd have to face fear head on and walk through those dreaded glass doors. Why did it feel like this place was becoming his second home?

He could do this. He was fine. Totally fine.

"Kaden, are you okay?"

Kaden twisted his eyes away from the building and turned his attention to his twin. He hated how Killian spoke sometimes, it seemed too formal, too precise. Sucking up his dumb fears in one heaved breath, Kaden nodded.

"Yeah, totes, bro."

Killian looked up from his calculus textbook and gave him a weird look. "Are you sure?" He eyed him curiously. "You don't seem so."

You don't seem so. Who even says it like that? Of course, Killian would. Even when they were kids, his brother spoke like a posh-ass servant from Downtown Abby. Kade never understood where he got it from. Killian was similar to Alex, in the sense they had the same way of doing things; same study setting, same highlighted flash cards, same weird obsession with being a little too neat and tidy. But, the vast difference between the two? Alex never spoke like a twat.

"I feel so," Kaden grumbled, in a weird high pitched tone as he mocked his twin, who wasn't phased in the slightest. "Why you doin' homework? It's Saturday."

Killian didn't look up as he spoke, eyes solely focused on the words and numbers as his hand frantically wrote notes. "I don't have a choice. I have nothing to prepare myself for this test. All my notes got ruined, and Silas has my flash cards."

"So? Just call Si and get them back?" Kaden didn't see the issue. Silas was his brother's best friend, surely he'd understand. After all, they were both the same; nerdy in a way Kaden could never grasp.

Killian shook his head almost immediately, seeming outraged by the suggestion. "He's struggling and needs them. I said he could have them because I had my whole weeks worth of notes written out. I can't offer to help him and then take back said help."

"Alright," Kaden pursed his lips, trying to find a solution. It was clear that Killian was already freaking out. He had set days to study, set atmospheres, set times, and here he was sitting in the back of Zac's car on a Saturday morning, papers and workbooks spread across his lap as his frantic eyes tried to take it all in.

It wasn't fair. Kaden felt bad for him, he knew Killian liked to use his Saturday's as his one cheat day from his studies.

"Alex?" He kicked the back of the passenger seat, knowing that it would piss Alex off but Kade didn't mind. Alex knew his fate when he rode with them and Zac, leaving Cal, Lily, Ace and Jack to ride with Grey.